!RARE! - L90c Panaque sp. Gold form

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Karel Klepesta
Location 2: Chrudim, Czech Republic

!RARE! - L90c Panaque sp. Gold form

Post by Karel Klepesta »

Hello friends. I must show you this really beutiful fish. He is mine about one year from import of Peru. He was about 5 cm, and he have little lighter brown, than others of this import. Now he grow to the 10 cm, and he going to change the colour to this beautiful gold! This happened about one month ago. He is in great condition. I never seen L90c like this. I think its really unique! What your opinion on this fish?
09022010519.jpg
09022010520.jpg
11022010529.jpg
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Re: !RARE! - L90c Panaque sp. Gold form

Post by Janne »

Do you mean L190? If not what is L90c because I don't recognise that number except than L90 and that species is not the same as above.

Janne
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

I think they mean (L203), I have seen L90c/d used for them. Like Janne said, its definitely not L90/. There have been a couple of occurrences with Panaque (theres a picture in here ) that have undergone this dramatic colour change. I dont think anybody has an answer for it yet.
Matthew
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

There are several reports of (reversal) depigmentation in plecos. Here's one:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =5&t=28827

It probably has something to do with changes (for the worse) in water chemistry. But nobody knows for sure.
Cheers,
Tina
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I think it's caused by stress of one reason or another, the loosing of their colour will remain after this has happen. Often this happens when they are moved to another tank or after a shipment.

Similar ;)

Janne
zerojquan85
Location 2: California, US
Interests: I am a Monsterfishkeepers.com member.. come find me!

Plecos of course..

Post by zerojquan85 »

L90c or Papa panaque or Lyre Tail Pleco is a rather odd panaque.. not royals.. but they are just as nice as royals.. and are huge..

Thats awesome how its albino color..
Attachments
L090 Panaque sp. Papa_white lyretail-001.jpg
Hello from MFK.com!
Karel Klepesta

Post by Karel Klepesta »

Janne wrote:I think it's caused by stress of one reason or another, the loosing of their colour will remain after this has happen. Often this happens when they are moved to another tank or after a shipment.

Similar ;)

Janne
He is in this tank about one year, without great changes. Water is still same. Food is same. I only take L240 and L200 from this tank, and I put there L091. But I don´t think it can be reason.
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I still think it's stress related, water is never the same and change each day but it can be stable within a certain range. Bacteria or whatever that can make a fish feeling stress can be a reason... it's not necessary that the fish look sick because when this happen they often look very healthy. But, I think if there are no external factor they would remain normal coloured.

Janne
Karel Klepesta

Post by Karel Klepesta »

Janne wrote:I still think it's stress related, water is never the same and change each day but it can be stable within a certain range. Bacteria or whatever that can make a fish feeling stress can be a reason... it's not necessary that the fish look sick because when this happen they often look very healthy. But, I think if there are no external factor they would remain normal coloured.

Janne
We will see in the future. Last two years I have in our firm about 200-300 of this species, and never see this colour before. Some of them was more larger, then this piece. I have very much experience with disease of this fish, and this fish isn´t in stress and isn´t ill. Its really mysterious.

Karel
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

Hey Karel,

whatever the reason for this color change, it's definitely something special and I would personally keep this specimen in a display tank in your living room :D

Also, it would be interesting to put this one in a species tank and add some normal colored specimens to see them interact!
Greetings, Tim
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

I have very much experience with disease of this fish, and this fish isn´t in stress and isn´t ill. Its really mysterious.
It has stopped to produce pigment (melanin) in the outer cellstructure... why? You think he was thinking... hey I will suprice my owner and change my colour ;)
Something affect the fish to do that, stress is not always visible and like I said, they reamin in this colour. It would be nice if there is any microbioligists interested to study this phenomen.

Janne
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Janne wrote:Something affect the fish to do that, stress is not always visible and like I said, they reamin in this colour. It would be nice if there is any microbioligists interested to study this phenomen.

Janne
The only way you could do it is if you could repeat this phenomenon, but AFAIK there is no reliable way to make it happen. It's an interesting question indeed, though.

Microbiology is technically the study of microorganisms. A histologist is what you'd want here, someone who studies tissues.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Mats H. O. Hansen
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Norway

Post by Mats H. O. Hansen »

It was beatyful!But i am fan of the nature variant of all catfishes, but this was actually cool :foggie:
Ullopincrate
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 2: US

Post by Ullopincrate »

It is striking regardless of what brought it to this state. Perhaps an ichthyologist somewhere could explain it.
samlauncher
Location 2: United States

Post by samlauncher »

Appreciate the info, it’s good to know.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”