Hi All!...Pictus help!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

Re: Hi All!...Pictus help!

Post by Timberwolf »

Even if they are from the two different variants, I haven't seen anything that speaks of definite behavioral differences, so that may, or may not be the definitive answer. It is something to keep in mind. As some of the more knowledgeable members here weigh in, we will probably both understand this better. I am paying extra attention to this one, because Pictus cats are defonitely near the top of my wish list and what you learn will go a long way towards helping me get it right when I get to where I have room for them.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

When I had a group of six, which was three small and three large ones, the large ones would sit for days without coming out for food, then gorge themselves, and then sit, and so on. The small ones would chase after food all the time. Once they got bigger, the no longer small ones would behave just like the big ones. And they grew fairly rapidly - about a year from roughly 3" to about 5".

--
Mats
Fish
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: London

Post by Fish »

Here's a picture of two of them

This is the bigger one that likes to hide:

Here's one of the smaller ones:

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Looks happy and healthy to me.

--
Mats
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Beautiful fish, Fish! :thumbsup:
Fish

Post by Fish »

Thank You :thumbsup:

I'm looking for some middle/upper level fish as it looks a little empty. Any recommendations? (Bearing in mind my tank size and current fish :D )
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

I have Mollies, Gold Barbs, and Serpae/Red Minor Tetras. Lots of color, hardy, peaceful and the mollies are live bearers, to boot, which will add another form of enjoyment to your tank.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

Timberwolf wrote:I have Mollies, Gold Barbs, and Serpae/Red Minor Tetras. Lots of color, hardy, peaceful and the mollies are live bearers, to boot, which will add another form of enjoyment to your tank.
mollies i wouldnt reccomend with pictus-at a lfs they had a community tank with a few pictus and live bearers
i saw the pictus cat eat the mollie :shock:
the fish in your picture look alot healthier than i would have expected in the tank you provide them in (no offense
because pictus need bigger tanks.
i think it could (not saying it would) be quite easy to convince your dad to get a bigger tank because he also owns fish ;) :an:
for me its not easy (im the only one in our family who likes to keep and breed fish-my sisters always say why dont you get some pretty fish instead of ugly catfish?-they dont get me)

i was thinking some killi fish maybe
the not so big but not so small species
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

DJ-don:
mollies i wouldn't reccomend with pictus-at a lfs they had a community tank with a few pictus and live bearers
i saw the pictus cat eat the mollie
Wow! Good to know! I guess it goes back to the rule of anything they can fit in their mouths...
:-X

The Cat-eLog suggests:
Another fish that I have thought would be a great fish to go into a tank with pictus cats would be Tiger Barbs. And then I re-read the Cat-eLog page:
Larger active fish such as tetras and gouramis. Most barbs are no good company as they tend to nip fins and barbels. They should be kept in (small) groups. Most singly kept specimens will pine away eventually. Angelfish and other ''graceful'' fishes may be bothered by this species' barbels particularly during lights-out.

An Oscar also seems like it would do well and the cat's will be big enough to not be bothered by the Oscar.
Last edited by Timberwolf on 13 Jan 2010, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Timberwolf wrote: An Oscar also seems like it would do well and the cat's will be big enough to not be bothered by the Oscar.
Yes, and O would be great (I've had pictus and O's together before), but the OP's tank is 21" long. :beardy:
Fish

Post by Fish »

Yep an O would be too big :lol: and it's because of my dad's tank my mum won't let me! His fish tank is huge then I have my tank and we also have a parrot so she said she doesn't want her house to turn into a zoo :lol: If it was up to my dad I'd have a much bigger tank 8)

I forgot to mention that I've had a couple of Congo tetra in there for a while too. My tank is the same as the same as the one in the UK for sale section:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 29&t=28044

EDIT: I look the look of the killi fish and the seprae tetra :thumbsup:
Fish

Post by Fish »

I've been looking into rainbow fish and they come in some really nice colours 8) after a while I might trade in my congo tetras for a group of them.

Is there a galley somewhere where I can see all the different types?

EDIT: found it here it is for anyone interested: http://www.rainbowfishes.eu/gallery/v/melanotaenia/

Return to “Tank Talk”