1320 liter clearwater biotope

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: 1320 liter clearwater biotope

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I was just going to reply the same thing. :D

We use masonry saws with diamond embedded blades quite a lot in my business (mineral exploration). And if Haavard were to use that, he can attain a smooth surface to bond directly to the glass rather than using a glass backing. I'd imagine there'd be a number of divots/skips when cutting rock with an angle grinder.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Yes, the drawback, I suppose is that Gary's diamond saws cost a bit more than £35 (about US $50-60) - the blade is additional on top of that, but if you know where to get that, it's about £20 or less (US $30).

It's a compromise between cost of tools and precision results.

--
Mats
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Oh, I didn't mean for him to buy it. Not sure if you can do that in the UK, but we can rent them at the Home Depot for $20 a day, including the blades. The blades we use for cutting rocks are actually $100 even at bulk pricing, since the rocks we cut are actually much harder than most tiles. :D
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Ah, but the ones that you use for tiles/masonry and such are usually not cutting very deep. The stones that Haavard uses are often 10cm/4" thick, so you need a good cutting depth.

--
Mats
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Yep, what you have to do is lower the tray and lift the blade. We use the same table saws to cut 5" diameter core. You do have to get blades with deeper diamond placement, which may or may not be possible. The other thing we do is cut on both side (for a rock to do a polished surface display).

Oops, sorry Haavard, going OT talking geology stuff. Back to your regular programming. :D
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Mats description is correct. Here is the first module with 4mm glass backing. You can`t see the sides of the glass because of the silicon.
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I guess in your application, how the cuts look (for the backing) doesn't matter, as you cover it all with black silicone, is that right?
Haavard Stoere

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Correct! I sand the edges so that I won`t cut myself on the glass. For final fixing to the aquarium I only use small amounts of silicone so that the modules can be pulled of later if needed.
Flyfisher
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Location 2: Uk

Post by Flyfisher »

Thanks guys :-)
I used to cut and core rock in a previous job and I wish I still had access to all the machinery but I live too fr from there now, or I'd be rolling up with atruck load of rocks for my old workmates to cut for me.
I will look to hiring or borrowing a rotary saw with suitable blades and of sufficient diameter when the time is here. But the glass backing use to get you a smooth surface to help bond is a very good idea.
By the way haavard, that last huge stone you added totally makes the display for me! It looked impressive until that was added but it's totally changed everything underneath from looking like a selection of rocks fixed seperately, to what now looks like an area of rock face with lots o cracks and crevises. Great addition and finishes it so well.
I always say pictures never do things justice, I'd so love to be able to stand inront of this tank of yours and witness the things you describe, especially the lighting. I will look back through , but have you a photo of the whole tank without flash to show the real light in all areas of the tank?
I was initially thinking of using a 3d background by AquaTerra. I have one in the tank I have now. But I really like a dark black background for the look of depth and I think the work and time spent doing something similar to yours and attaching rocks to the glass will be a rewarding way to go.
Cheers
alleykat
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: ke
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by alleykat »

Hi Haavard,

i really like the serene look of your tanks:) i am currently designing my own very little aquarium (around 10% of this thing;-)), and i have a small question; i find the twigs and branches you use really nice, but i was wondering what kind of tree they come from.
i have considered various things myself in the past, but finding decent wood is difficult. and do you plan on renewing them regularly? or are they supposed to stay put? anyways, i always love reading your threads and the pics are great. Greets from the netherlands,

Tjerk
Haavard Stoere

Post by Haavard Stoere »

alleykat wrote:Hi Haavard,

i really like the serene look of your tanks:) i am currently designing my own very little aquarium (around 10% of this thing;-)), and i have a small question; i find the twigs and branches you use really nice, but i was wondering what kind of tree they come from.
Thank you:) They come from the Lilac tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringa_vulgaris
The twigs are fresh to start with, so I soak them for several weeks. They are then placed in a tank of 19 adult L204s for several weeks unntil they are strippet of bark.
alleykat wrote:Hi Haavard,i have considered various things myself in the past, but finding decent wood is difficult. and do you plan on renewing them regularly? or are they supposed to stay put? anyways, i always love reading your threads and the pics are great. Greets from the netherlands,
Tjerk
I will renew the twigs when needed. I bet they will last some time since there are no woodeaters in the tank. After some time the twigs get covered in algae and the wood itself turns greyish brown. Very cool.
Flyfisher wrote:Thanks guys :-)
I will look back through , but have you a photo of the whole tank without flash to show the real light in all areas of the tank?
Sure. The foto is not new, but there will be more photographs as the tank progresses.
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

That's a great looking shot. I'm glad your shots are just like my whole tank shots where you see no catfish. I was beginning to think you had some kind of magic. :p
whiteymoza
My images: 1
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: U.K.!!!

Post by whiteymoza »

2wheelsx2 wrote:That's a great looking shot. I'm glad your shots are just like my whole tank shots where you see no catfish. I was beginning to think you had some kind of magic. :p
I count at least 2 catfish! :wink:
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

whiteymoza wrote:
2wheelsx2 wrote:That's a great looking shot. I'm glad your shots are just like my whole tank shots where you see no catfish. I was beginning to think you had some kind of magic. :p
I count at least 2 catfish! :wink:
After carefully looking again, I see one, maybe two. Either way, it's not like the other shots. :)
cochito
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Shizuoka, Japan

Post by cochito »

1320 litters :shock: ! Is it a normal size in Norway or other European nations? It's definitely a gigantic tank here in Japan. Not that many people in Japan can afford that kind of tanks and house to store them: the weight would damage the floor if not penetrate it.
I'm simply amazed :an: !
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I'd say that a 1000+ liter tank is quite unusual in Europe too. There are a few members here that have large tanks, but most peoples tanks are relatively small. My largest tank is 400 liter, and I have one 300 liter, 3 x 200 liter and 7 x 100 liter - and my son has a 30 liter tank too.

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Although I never was in Japan, I understand the people in Japan are used to smaller houses then in most of Europe

Smaller houses imply smaller tanks, obviously. However, not everyone in Europe lives similarly, the south of Sweden is known for small houses too (because they are easier to heat) which resulted in smart furniture design, resulting in the IKEA furniture shops (whcih originated there), while in places more to the south many peole have more room

But personally I'm convinced in the northern half of Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxambourg combined, one will find over 1000 1000+ liter tanks, and I would not be surprized if it would turn out to be more than 5000
cats have whiskers
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Bas Pels wrote:But personally I'm convinced in the northern half of Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxambourg combined, one will find over 1000 1000+ liter tanks, and I would not be surprized if it would turn out to be more than 5000
But if you compare that to all the aquaria in that region, it's still a small proportion, right? I'd say the average aquarium sold is probably less than 100 liter (because most people buy a small tank, and never get anything bigger).

I had a look through the first 90 "my Aquaria" registered owners [alphabetically listed], which is 164 tanks in total, and I found 2 of the owners that had a tank of over 1000 liter. Of course, that's probably not very representative, for two reasons:
1. People who have big tanks, I think, are slightly more enthusiastic and more likely to put their tanks on the "My Aquaria".
2. A lot of "my Aquaria" has no size at all, and the title is not telling much either - so it may be that there are bigger tanks that just haven't been registered with a size.
3. Some people that HAVE large tanks may not have registered them (your name was in the list of names, but your big tanks are not listed - that's obviously your choice).

But I wouldn't say, from this, that 1000+ liter tanks are "common" by any meaning of that word.

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

MatsP wrote:your name was in the list of names, but your big tanks are not listed - that's obviously your choice.
With my 30 tanks, installing the whole will take a while, and as quite often fishes are rehoused, updating it would take even more time

Luckely, nobody will mind my choice

@ common / uncommon

You are right pointing out 1000+ liter tanks are not everywhere, but I think they are less, perhaps even far less, then the impression i got

If one goes to a killyfish convention, one might find someone who has a 200 liter tank
If one goes to a cichlid convention, one will find people with large tanks - by any definition. I've heard about 10.000 liter tanks, but never seen one privately owned
cats have whiskers
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Yes, of course, tank-sizes vary depending on the interest of the fishkeeper. Some fishes, by definition, require very large tanks, others do not - many people prefer certain types of fish (e.g. Corys or Killies) because they can be kept in relatively small tanks. I suspect if you find the "European Freshwater Ray convention" or some such, the number of very large tanks will be pretty high in that group. But of course, there's only so many keepers of rays in any given country, because MOST people do not have very large tanks.

--
Mats
Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher »

Thanks for showing that tank pic Haavard. Very nice shot, and I look forward to seeing more.

:-)
Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher »

With so many plecos in this little 1320 litre tank of yours, even with all those hiding places, have you seen any bickering for territory from any fish?
And are there catfish that show themsleves more than others in there? And with so many high fin L200s do some hide more than others? Feed harder than others? And what size difference do you have from within this group?

Cheers.
Lloydy
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Chandlers Ford (near Southampton, England)
Location 2: Southampton (England)

Post by Lloydy »

If you want to find people with large privately owned tanks, you can probably find quite a few at http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com. Some of the fishrooms on there, are basically normal rooms made into tanks! :lol:
Q) Why are dead fish harder to 'wind up' than live fish?
A) Because dead fish never take the bait! ;)
Haavard Stoere

Post by Haavard Stoere »

The 13 L200s are adults or close to adulthood. They are not shy and eat a lot (especially green food). At times they get aggressive towards the smaller L240s
The 10 L240s are young adults, are not shy and eat a lot of green food and discus granules. At times they get aggressive towards the L200s
The 4 L160s are one adult female and 3 sub adults. The adult female is very aggressive towards the other plecos (she bites), but I don`t think this is a real problem. They are moderately shy.
The 4 L25s are moderately shy, but always comes out to eat. They measure around 8cms sl.
The half grown L24 is moderately shy, but always comes out to eat. I really wan`t to get more of this species. They are super cool.
The around 20 sub adult (5-6cm) Ancistrus sp L107 are shy.

There is some aggression, but none of the fish seem to hurt each other in a bad way. I can usually find scrathes on some of the fish, but nothing serious.
Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher »

Interesting Reading, thanks for that. Have you kept standard L200s to compare behaviour and feeding etc?
There's a great range of colours and sizes in your choices for this tank. And it's interesting to watch the difference in how they all
exist together. A few scrapes and scratches is nothing to worry about is it. You are indeed re creating a natural environment and in nature these feuds and territory stand offs are part of life. Great stuff! I do really like L124 but I have a feeling that a group of L200 may be the way I go one for my next big tank.
Cheers
Haavard Stoere

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Flyfisher wrote:Interesting Reading, thanks for that. Have you kept standard L200s to compare behaviour and feeding etc?
I have kept both species for several years. Hemiancistrus subviridis are very shy (mine at least. I only feed them at night as they refuse to come out during the day). Baryancistrus demantoides is not shy at all. Both species are easy to feed and they eat large quantities of peas, algae wafers, krill. etc.
Flyfisher wrote: A few scrapes and scratches is nothing to worry about is it. You are indeed re creating a natural environment and in nature these feuds and territory stand offs are part of life.
Cheers
As a larger part of the population grows and matures I will have to take out a lot of the fish to avoid inury. Some can get potentially nasty with size. The tank will probably end up as a species tank for my 8 L25s in a couple of years.
Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher »

That sounds like another good reason to pay the extra for the high fins then :-) I wonder if anyone over here in the UK has had success in breeding these????
It's still early days but I'm going to start trying to organise rock and appropriate saw fairly soon I think. The trouble is that most of the inert rocks that will have no effect on ph are as hard as he'll, so I guess that diamond blade is the only way to go huh?
And I bet it takes a fair few tubes of silicone!? :-)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

As far as I'm aware have never been bred. Very few Baryancistrus are being bred, in general.

A 9" blade for angle grinder from Wickes, Screwfix and such is about £20... Slate is not very hard, but yes, most others are hard types of stone.

--
Mats
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I find the opposite from Haavard. Of course I only have 2 of each and not the crowd that he does, so that may account for the behaviour difference. My are very shy compared to my .
Haavard Stoere

Post by Haavard Stoere »

MatsP wrote:As far as I'm aware have never been bred. Very few Baryancistrus are being bred, in general.
They have been and are being bred by Torsten Hartung, Germany.

Next winter I intend to breed mine. They are becoming sexually mature.

Return to “Tank Talk”