Gill problem?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
cmstwc
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Francisco, USA

Gill problem?

Post by cmstwc »

I was randomly taking pictures and found one of the cory has 2 small water lump on one side of her gill.
Does anyone know what is this? What causes this problem? How should I deal with it?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by cmstwc on 03 Dec 2009, 07:56, edited 3 times in total.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Gill problem?

Post by apistomaster »

I think you used the wrong link. It leads me to the Photobucket home page.
Try clicking on the photo you want to post then use the lasr(bottom) link. It auto-copies but try Ctrl C then Ctrl V to be sure it copies and pastes into your post.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
cmstwc

Post by cmstwc »

apistomaster wrote:I think you used the wrong link. It leads me to the Photobucket home page.
Try clicking on the photo you want to post then use the lasr(bottom) link. It auto-copies but try Ctrl C then Ctrl V to be sure it copies and pastes into your post.

Larry, thanks for pointing it out for me. Here is the picture.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I still don't see a photo.
Try something else and before posting, hit "Preview" button to see if the photo appears. The bottom code is for posting the photo on a forum.
Try looking at the enlarged photo on photobucket. Then scroll down until all your options are shown on the left, then repeat the actions I previously described. If that doesn't work try the "Direct link", 2nd from the top of the 4 options. The 2nd code will let you post using a link which will be copied that you can paste into your post which we can click on to view. Again, test by using the preview button. Otherwise there is something else wrong with your Photobucket account or perhaps a computer settings.
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Its a good close-up of what is otherwise a healthy looking C Sterbai.
I'm not sure if I've seen these egg-like small lumps before. There is a 'condition' that resembles a cauliflower-like growth, but the name escapes me (help guys...). -Its not life-threatening and usually disappears with good diet and water conditions.
If that is what it is, its not contagious.
There's another 'disease',which looks like watery blisters with a tiny worm inside the blister. This is contagious but can be treated. I'll get back to you with the name of it. (My brain!.....)
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I finally see the photo in your first post. I see what appear to be fluid filled blisters.
I have seen these on Corydoras many times but only on individual fish over the years. These often disappear as mysteriously as they appear and I have never seen it become contagious.
I have wondered if it is a viral disease but i still don't know what the cause is and few fish ever seem to be bothered by them.

I think the cauliflower-like growths you were trying to remember the name for is the viral disease Lymphocystis most often seen among reef fish.
cmstwc

Post by cmstwc »

Thanks for both you! So I should not worry to much at this point? Just keep up the water quality? Should I use any med? Thanks again!
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Lymphocystis!!! - thanks Larry. Freshwater fish get it too, but not in this case.

Hopefully the watery blisters will disappear, end of. But if not...
Checked with a doctor friend of mine who a while back had congo tetras with similar blisters but in the fins and they were contagious. They was what appeared to be a small worm in each blister. A fish vet diagnosed nematodes and treated it with flubendazole - now available as 'kusuri wormer plus'.
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

One thing I have never done is a biopsy/dissection of one of these blister-like growths and examined them under my microscope. I do know some worms cause cysts to form but those I am most familiar with tended to be presented as small raised black spots on usually fine scaled silver Characins like Myleus species or Metynnis species. Those spots never went away nor did they ever spread. Probably caused by an encysted parasitic worm that requires at least one intermediate host not present in a typical aquarium.
My intuition tells me that these fluid filled blisters won't have anything I can see under a microscope except possibly abnormal epithelial cells.

I keep praziquantal, levimazole and flubendazole in my arsenal.
cmstwc

Post by cmstwc »

The blister was somehow broken, the fish seems fine. Thanks!
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I had an Ancistrus with something similar one on the tip of one bristle. It went away on its own. I think it was a small cyst.
Amanda
Lloydy
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Chandlers Ford (near Southampton, England)
Location 2: Southampton (England)

Post by Lloydy »

apistomaster wrote:I think the cauliflower-like growths you were trying to remember the name for is the viral disease Lymphocystis most often seen among reef fish.
I think some of my Corys might have something similar. I have 4 Adolfis, 6 Sterbais and 5 Juliis but only the Sterbai show any signs of growths. The worst affected (now called Skanky) is the Sterbai that I have had for about 18 months, the others were introduced a few months ago and now a couple of them are showing similar signs.

Despite previous Corys having shared a tank with Skanky without showing any signs of the growths, I am worried that these growths might be spreading amongst the new Sterbai and I want to know if there is anything I can do to stop the spread or ideally reserve the affects.

I will try to get a few photos of Skanky so you can see what I am talking about.
Q) Why are dead fish harder to 'wind up' than live fish?
A) Because dead fish never take the bait! ;)
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I have seen this on Corydoras, too, but I don't know if it is Lymphocystis.
It does resemble it but sometimes it has been a what appears to be a fluid filled pustule. I do not know of any way of treating it since I do not know the cause. It never seemed to bother the afflicted fish but it is gross and I hate to see it. I have usually simply removed the fish and kill it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”