How much is too much food?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

How much is too much food?

Post by Taratron »

In my 20 long tank (gallons), I have 2 bristlenose plecos, 6 emerald eyed rasboras, and 6 bronze cories, not to mention a ton of MTS.

Two questions: how much food is TOO much for my plecos? There's little to no algae in the tank right now, so I usually give them one algae disc a night. Yesterday I tossed in an inch long piece of lettuce--which was eaten promptly. I added another piece of similar size today, and replaced it with a two inch one tonight (after the male demolished the piece).

Am I not feeding them enough, or too much?

Next q: if my bristlenose breed, will the male defend the eggs from MTS?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

That doesn't sound like too much. The fish cannot digest plant material all that well anyway, so it should pass through the GI tract fairly quickly.
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

You know, the word on how much to feed is almost always "as much as the fish will eat in 5 minutes." I try to follow this advice with most of my fish, but not my plecos (a gibby and two ancistrus sp.). I usually toss in about 3-5 algae wafers a night. There's always something left on the bottom after 5 minutes. However, I guess I've got the attitude that as long as it's gone by morning it's okay.
My wife likes cats.
I like catfish.
coryfav
Location 1: Singapore (West)
Interests: Fishkeeping, Travelling, Reading, Correspondence

Post by coryfav »

Ha, I've this rule for my plecs:

I feed your in the morning, make sure I don't see any leftover that evening. I feed you at night, make sure you finish everything the next morning. Otherwise, I'll give you a tablet less, during the next feed.

Yeah, I think it doesn't really work on 'finish in 5 minutes' for plecs, especially when most of mine only comes out to eat when no one's around. :)
To go to heaven: Turn right, and keep straight. - unknown

My gallery in PlanetCatfish: http://www.corydorasworld.com/planetcat ... ry/coryfav
Connie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Connie »

In my opinion it is really your judgement on how much your guys eat, kinda play with it and if you find you are overfeeding remove the extra food.
maybe try 2 algae wafers a night and if you see any leftovers try 1 and 1/2 same with the veggies.
Connie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”