Need tips on L333 breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
emoo
Location 2: vic

Need tips on L333 breeding

Post by emoo »

would like to know some information on the temp for L333 breeding group, current 3m 4f all adult size. 4 inch+

i on my heater to about 28 degree for almost a month, i read up on some breeding threads, where others say they do 50% water change with cool water, i was wondering, do they on back the heater or set it to a lower degree for you guys who have use this method before?

is it ok to use blackwater as well for them?

thanks in advance for your answers :D
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Need tips on L333 breeding

Post by apistomaster »

I can share how I have my breeding group of L333, which also consists of 3 males and 4 females, set up.
I keep them at 84*F. I use 5 rectangular breeding caves made out of ceramic floor tile cut to make 5-1/2 X 1 X 1-1/4 inches caves
I feed them mostly earth worm sticks, some Spirulina sticks and frozen blood worms. I don't have any other furnishing or plants in this tank. There is about 1/4 inch layer of FloraBase plant substrate covering the bottom of the breeding tank.
My fish began breeding shortly after I set them up in a 40 gal breeder tank with 2 Azoo OxygenPlus Bio-Filters #6, equivalent to HydroSponge IV's. One is driven by a MaxiJet 600 power head160gph/600 lph and the other is running via the supplied airlift. In addition, I have an air stone bubbling vigorously.
Spawning began soon after I began making 50% RO water changes and continued once the water had been brought down to a KH of 3 and GH 3 and TDS of about 60 ppm. All subsequent water changes use RO water adjusted to match the existing conditions. The pH dropped to 6.6 to 7.0 after the KH had been lowered. The fish were maintained in local tap water almost one year with a KH of 6, GH 7, TDS 345 ppm and pH of 7.4 before I set them up for breeding.
I do not think adding cool water is as important as soft water.
In any case, I haven't had any recent spawns because the tank is swarming with almost 100 fry between 3/4" and 1-1/4" long.
I don't think my breeders will resume spawning until I remove all the fry. The many fry do not allow the adults enough privacy. The fry squeeze into the caves with the adults and the spare caves when they aren't out feeding. The fry dash for any cover at the sound or vibration of my approach.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
emoo
Location 2: vic

Re: Need tips on L333 breeding

Post by emoo »

Thanks apistomaster for your tips :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”