Need ID on Black medium size CF

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
iljasas
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Need ID on Black medium size CF

Post by iljasas »

Could u please help me identify the catfish on below photo.
I got this as a present from a friend and never found out it's name/number.

Last edited by iljasas on 20 Oct 2009, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Need ID on Black medium size CF

Post by Richard B »

I think this will prove much trickier than the P albomaculatus in the other post :(

People may want to know the number of dorsal rays or a [ic of the whole fish. Also. knowing capture location is sometimes the only way of giving a 99% positive ID on some loricariids - bristlenoses particularly
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure that it's a female - but that is a fairly large group, representing somewhere around 10-15% of all known Ancistrinae (the subfamily of Loricariidae [=plecos] that this fish absolutely certainly belongs to), so about 100 out of 700 or so fish. The brown body with brown spots isn't unusual in this group - the spots are almost universal, and it's just a case of if they are white, yellow, green, blue or brown, and whether the body itself is dark brown, dark grey or black.

To make matters even more complicated, their colour changes somewhat as they grow older, and they can change colour depending on how they feel.

--
Mats
iljasas

Post by iljasas »

Thanks for the info so far.. I already guessed it's a Ancistrus but due to the size of the group my head went dizzy looking at all the pictures :an:

I'll see if he pops his head around the corner tonight and maybe i can get a better picture with the Dorsal fins etc in frame.
Catching for better pictures would not be a option as my fishtank is made ready to participate for the Dutch Aquarium Championships and don't want to pull out all my plants just before the testing next week :-).
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

iljasas wrote:Catching for better pictures would not be a option as my fishtank is made ready to participate for the Dutch Aquarium Championships and don't want to pull out all my plants just before the testing next week :-).
Gook luck for that and let us know how you get on - sounds like you should post some tank pics for us too :)
Martin
iljasas

Post by iljasas »

Martin S wrote:
iljasas wrote:Catching for better pictures would not be a option as my fishtank is made ready to participate for the Dutch Aquarium Championships and don't want to pull out all my plants just before the testing next week :-).
Gook luck for that and let us know how you get on - sounds like you should post some tank pics for us too :)
Martin
I just setup my profile with My catfish and Aquarium and attached a old picture of my Discus Fishtank.
I'll get some new pictures sometime this week to showoff with.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi.

Most brown are the common one (). However, wild caught specimens of other species do turn up.

Knowing how much it cost, what it was labelled as, and what size it was when purchased also helps.

So, it the absence of any other information, its most parsimonious (because it looks similar enough, and based on the sheer number of common bristlenose in the trade) to assume it is that one.

:D
iljasas

Post by iljasas »

racoll wrote:Hi.

Most brown are the common one (). However, wild caught specimens of other species do turn up.

Knowing how much it cost, what it was labelled as, and what size it was when purchased also helps.

So, it the absence of any other information, its most parsimonious (because it looks similar enough, and based on the sheer number of common bristlenose in the trade) to assume it is that one.

:D
I got this catfish from a friend of mine who stopped his aquarium hobby, also he doesn't know what the name/price etc was.
Only thing i can tell u, it's reaching it's 5th birthday next year.

Return to “What is my catfish?”