Internal Parasites

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

Internal Parasites

Post by Stuey »

Hello All,

I have recently brought into one of my tanks 4 King Tiger Plecs, L066. Two have died quite quickly with very concave emacaited bellies. Though I have not seen any in the anal opening, from reading many polls, I think these fish have internal parasites.

From reading previous posts I have seen that Levasimol has been used to treat such conditions.

I am in Scotland U.K., and was wondering if and how anybody near here, has managed to aquire some of this treatment.

Thanks
Stu
Atlas
Location 1: Singapore

Post by Atlas »

Unfortunately, I'm unable to help. I have the same doubt too.

I was also wondering whether there are any commercially available medication containing Levamisole.

Any info is really appreciated.
Thank you.
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

Have you tried to contact any animal health or farm supply stores in your area? Although I'm in the US, I found my Levasole at such a store (over-the-counter) as a sheep dewormer. Worked great!
My wife likes cats.
I like catfish.
Daniel L
Location 1: Canada

Post by Daniel L »

Discomed sound good too.
Frisckey1
Location 1: Virginia, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping, 4x4ing, camping, outdoors

Post by Frisckey1 »

What about online purchases? I am unfamiliar with law covering the mailing of drugs intended to be used as meds for animals, but perhaps an online store (perhaps even in the US) could get you what you are looking for. Iknow there's a site called http://www.petmeds.com where I can order meds for my other pets (heartworm, antibiotics,etc). Perhaps http://www.drfostersmith.com ?
Cant....stop....buying....fish!
sootica

Internal parasites

Post by sootica »

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with catfish, I stumbled upon your post after seeking advice for my otocinclus. I do keep fancy goldfish though and have been slamming my head against a brick wall with the UK laws prohibiting distribution and sale of antibiotics and other medications. Luckily I've built up a good stock of decent fish meds through the help of some lovely US friends, who have sneakily sent me a couple of things...(shhhh). You'll find US sites will not be willing to ship medicated goods to you as customs will simply confiscate it. However, there is something available that has slipped past the eye of the law... I'm not sure if it would work in your specific case, but Waterlife Octozin contains a high level of metronidazole, fairly effective against a host of internal parasites (predominantly hexamita I believe, but also others). Perhaps it is worth a try in the absence of any other meds? HTH :)
Gandalfdgrey
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Malta
Interests: Cichlids and Catfish

Post by Gandalfdgrey »

Hi there
if i am not incorrect, a human medication contains metranidasole. This is flagyl or flagil. But ask a pharmacist for the composition. Once I asked a vet for it and he told me that it is used for pigeons, so you may try and buy it either from a vet or from a vet pharmacy.
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

Thanks

Post by Stuey »

hi All,

Just to say thanks to all who helped.
I found a source, who kindly gave me enough to treat my tanks

Cheers
Stuey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”