Feeding L333

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Lloydy
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: Chandlers Ford (near Southampton, England)
Location 2: Southampton (England)

Feeding L333

Post by Lloydy »

Hi all,

I try to keep my L333s well fed with prawns, mussels and small blood worms but I was wondering what other meats they will eat.

I have seen people talk about feeding them chicken. Would this be served raw or cooked? Can you basically feed them any meat as long as its plain and not too much and if so how should they be prepared?
Q) Why are dead fish harder to 'wind up' than live fish?
A) Because dead fish never take the bait! ;)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Feeding L333

Post by MatsP »

I personally wouldn't feed chicken to my fish. But if I did, I'd have it cooked, and cut into small pieces.

Any form of seafood, particularly marine forms is good food (marine -> much less risk of transferring any parasites if it's not cooked).

Have a look at my Feeding Article - it covers several suggestions on meaty foods.

--
Mats
Rohan Richardson
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Melbourne Australia

Post by Rohan Richardson »

Give black worms a try they are highly nutritious and don't have chitlin(as chitlin can block intestines-blood worms have chitlin). You can also feed them shrimp pellets and carnivor pellets.
Rohan R
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I feed my breeding colony of 7 L333 mainly earth worm sticks, Spirulina Sticks, frozen blood worms and some live black worms placed in a bowl. I have a thin layer of sand so the bowl prevents the live worms from escaping into the sand.
There is absolutely no basis in fact against feeding L333 all the blood worms they care to eat. Chironomid larvae(blood worms) are part of their natural diet and they find them encrusted on the undersides of the river bottom rocks in the wild.
I have about 90 fry in need of removal from my L333 breeding tank and I feed frozen blood worms nearly every night before I turn out the light. The fry eat constantly but are quick to hide when they detect my approach. The adults are eating exclusively at night.
Hypancistrus spp primarily eat aquatic insect larvae and all insects have chitonous exoskeletons. Therefore they are perfectly evolved to digest their primary prey organisms. In any rocky river with a good current the rocks will have living on them black fly, Caddis fly, Mayfly, Stone fly, Crane fly, water beetle larvae and Chironomid fly larvae present.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”