Corydoras habrosus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
JoJo3131
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Oregon

Corydoras habrosus

Post by JoJo3131 »

I had two of these for over a month in a 3 gallon eclipse tank. Yesterday I found one dead, with no apparent reason associated with it. I saw it the day before and it seemed normal, didn't notice anything wrong with it. My tank is at 78*, my pH is 8.0, my nitrates are at about 20, Nitrites at 0, ammonia at 0. I feed a small amount of flake with tubifex in it, shrimp pellets, and a wafer type of cory food, along with brine shrimp and mysis shrimp that we thaw before giving to the tank. I do weekly water changes, and am pretty consistent about making sure I vac the gravel each time. I have quite a few tanks and have never had troubles with any of my other cory's, so I am uncertain as to what happened to this one. I do know the other one is very lonely, so I am considering putting him into a 10 gallon with a couple albino cory's. Just not really certain this is the best move or not.

Really, I just am wondering if it sounds like I'm taking good care of them, they are so much smaller than my other cory's is there care any different really than the big guys?
Thanks,
Joanne

38 g Mbuna C ichlid tank, 1 red zebra male, 1 Jewel Pair, 2 Kenyi females, various zebra's
25 g tank: 3 pepper cory's, 3 Green/Bronze cory's, 4 Sunset Platy's, 1 Red Wag Platy,
10 g Crowntail Betta, 2 albino cory's, 1 hasbrosus cory
3 g hospital tank: Platy fry
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Corydoras habrosus

Post by Silurus »

my pH is 8.0
Your pH seems kinda high for the fish in question.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I agree with Silurus that pH 8.0 is high for Corydoras habrosus.
I really think you should keep them in a group not less than six. They are a small species but it is very difficult to keep the water quality at optimum in a small tank and using traditional frozen and prepared foods.
I have maintained a permanent breeding colony of C. habrosus in a 20 Long for 2 years. I began with 10 and now have about 100. I have sold another 100 over the past 2 years out of this permanent set up.
I feed mine primarily newly hatched brine shrimp but also live black worms and some frozen blood worms. I use tap water 1 part to 4 parts RO water to get a Total Dissolved Solids(TDS) of 50 ppm. My pH is about 7.0
They seem to breed and thrive at about 78*F. They become less productive in the summer when my water temps reach 84*F
I have an air stone, and 2 sponge filters. One sponge filter is operated by way of the built in air lift and the other sponge filter is driven by a 600 lph power head for their 20 Long. The more C. habrosus you have, the better they do. Just one or two specimens often seem to fade away. They do best in groups.
Just because this is a small species does not mean they will do well in very small tanks. I would not try to keep a group of them in a tank less than 10 gal for their long term welfare. I don't recommend keeping them with larger Corydoras spp.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Luck768
Location 2: philippines

Post by Luck768 »

You are right apismaster.,pH 8.0 is high for Corydoras habrosus.,

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”