L046 (plecos) and volcanic rocks (lava)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pringle
Location 2: Copenhagen

L046 (plecos) and volcanic rocks (lava)

Post by pringle »

Hi,
I am setting up a new aquarium for L046. I have been reading this very fine article about decorating a tank like the river xingu.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... Rest+of+Us

The article tells to use volcanic lava in the aquarium but i am a bit afraid of the sharp edges on the lava rocks. Wont the L046 cut themselves on the sharp corners of the lava rocks?

Please tell me of your experience with plecos and lava rocks :)

THANKS!
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Re: L046 (plecos) and volcanic rocks (lava)

Post by drpleco »

"Lace rock" is volcanic (ash), contains pits, caves, and tunnnels, and is also relatively dull. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but it's fairly common in the US aquatic trade. I am unsure of its effect on pH, however.

I've used it with plecos (not zebras, I don't have any yet) and they love the stuff. The grooves and caves and whatnot are greatfor hiding, and the rouch surface it easy for them to cling to. If you can get it, it's great stuff.
trc007
Location 2: united kingdom, wiltshire

Post by trc007 »

i recently purchased some l333 that came with a large piece of lava rock. i left the lava rock out as it was extremly sharp! i would be worried about fish hurting themselves on it
pringle

Post by pringle »

lace rocks have I never heard of but they look nice! Do they have sharp edges and corners? and if yes does the edges seem to make injuries to your plecos?
Thanks!
jerry58
Location 2: kent

Post by jerry58 »

Hi pringle
They are a nice fish why take the risk just use slate and caves and bit of bogwood.Even plants if you like them will do fine.

Thanks Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
pringle

Post by pringle »

jerry58 wrote: They are a nice fish why take the risk just use slate and caves and bit of bogwood.Even plants if you like them will do fine.
Well i dont find that slate and bogwood looks like the river xingo :) And I would like to make a natural looking biotope...
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

pringle wrote:lace rocks have I never heard of but they look nice! Do they have sharp edges and corners? and if yes does the edges seem to make injuries to your plecos?
Thanks!
Lace rock isn't generally sharp. It's fairly brittle when thin, so it doesn't make edges like, say, obsidian, or even slate. I imagine there's some on ebay, but shipping might be an issue.
pringle

Post by pringle »

drgold wrote:
Lace rock isn't generally sharp. It's fairly brittle when thin, so it doesn't make edges like, say, obsidian, or even slate. I imagine there's some on ebay, but shipping might be an issue.
I will have a look for some on ebay but as you write shipping is likely to bee an issue :lol:

thanks
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

The lava rock available in the UK is extremely light but can have some serious sharp edges. :(

However it is easily filed, sanded etc. Holes can be drilled & chipped out easily. It can be cut with a saw like a knife through butter to make MatsP-style caves. :D

In short, perhaps rough & problematic until a little minimal intervention :D :thumbsup:
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I think lava rock (UK) and lace rock (US) are the same thing. I also think the aforementioned article is talking about any igneous rock, not lava or lace rock.

Jools
pringle

Post by pringle »

Jools wrote:I think lava rock (UK) and lace rock (US) are the same thing. I also think the aforementioned article is talking about any igneous rock, not lava or lace rock.
Jools
You might be right that they are the same thing :) they look very much alike on pictures...

But still my question stands - will the sharp edges hurt the plecos or not?
Does anyone have any experience of using volcanic rocks with plecos?
Thanks
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

I have used Lava rock with a multitude of loricariids, but smoothed it off before use.

I would be wary of using it otherwise. (It's ok for some fish but plecos? Not ideal without a little assistance)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Rohan Richardson
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Melbourne Australia

Post by Rohan Richardson »

Mate i would be very wary of volcanic rock simply for the fact that the Xingu River rocks are extremely old and trace element poor so any volcanic rock must be from an area that is equally as old and element poor (not just the sharp edges that are very dangerous). Being river rocks the elements have leached out to the point of literally being inert and are as smooth as a babies bum so that is the way to do a Xingu river tank(smoothed rock only). The good thing for you is that L46's are readily breedable and with the damming of the river approved they will need to be bred in captivity to possibly survive as a species so my advice is to get them happening as fast as you can. Rohan R :thumbsup:
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4438.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Zebras live fairly deep in a very fast flowing portion of the river. If you are trying to duplicate their habitat you should use smooth rounded rocks with a sandy bottom. You should also have 0 light in the tank as they live so deep it is quite dark and not even algae can grow there.

All of my zebra tanks are laid out to provide maximum cover for the fish. Most are bare bottom and use river rocks and both soft and harder wood as well as an assorment of spawning caves. They are designed to be zebra friendly which makes them pretty much fishkeeper/fish watcher unfriendly.

From zebrapleco.com:
The floor of the xingu is primerily made up of rounded rocks, crevises and a sandy substrate, allowing the hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from preditors.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Kiera
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Aachen, Germany

Post by Kiera »

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I bought some volcanic rocks with holes big enough for my L-260 to fit into. In my tank I also have normal clay tubes (closed at one end). I have never seen so much action in my tank! The L-260's LOVE the lava rock holes. I haven't seen any injuries either. They like them I think because the water can flow through the rock.
I'd give lava rock a go!

Kiera
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Rohan Richardson wrote:Mate i would be very wary of volcanic rock simply for the fact that the Xingu River rocks are extremely old and trace element poor so any volcanic rock must be from an area that is equally as old and element poor (not just the sharp edges that are very dangerous). Being river rocks the elements have leached out to the point of literally being inert and are as smooth as a babies bum so that is the way to do a Xingu river tank(smoothed rock only). The good thing for you is that L46's are readily breedable and with the damming of the river approved they will need to be bred in captivity to possibly survive as a species so my advice is to get them happening as fast as you can. Rohan R :thumbsup:
Rohan,
Your logic is flawed.
The volcanic rocks in the Xingu could contribute minerals still, raising the TDS in an aquarium. It is not a question of the age of the rocks in the river but that igneous rocka, granite and basalt are not very soluble to begin with but they are not completely neutral. Think EcoComplete substrate. It says right on the bag that it may increase hardness slightly. It is the high annual rain fall in the Xingu drainage that maintains soft water and allows the pH to drop from the leaching of the fallen litter of the water shed.
The rocks are naturally smoothed by years in fast flowing water.

Therefore TwoTankAmin gave the correct advice about the proper rocks and substrate to use in a Xingu River Biotope. He does raise more than a few H. zebra so I would listen to what he has to say. You were correct about this part.
Lace Rock has a high calcium carbonate if it is the type composed of the mineral Aragonite(Normally white or buff colored). It is popular in Rift lake fish tanks. The other form available is frothy volcanic glass(usually gray colored). The latter has many razor sharp edges although they are difficult to feel they are actually like frothy Obsidian and on the micro-scale are just as sharp.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”