Question about growth rate for C. similis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Question about growth rate for C. similis

Post by ranmasan »

Hi All,

I'm looking for information regarding the growth rate of C. similis... I've had 8 "little guys" (approx. 0.75" to 1" in length) for over 4 months and have barely noticed any growth. I have them in my "outgrow tank" (10 gal, ph=7.0, temp = 79F, all other parameters neutral/normal) along with 1 male betta, plants, "caves" (plastic & ceramic), fine grain gravel mix (10% gravel, 90% fine sand). I've been feeding an alternating diet of Hikari algae wafers, Aquarian shrimp pellets, and San Francisco Bay freeze-dried brine shrimp. I am hesitant to use frozen or fresh worms/brineshrimp as I do not want to introduce any harmful organisms into the tank as I use it primarily for young cats prior to moving them to my larger tanks.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) !

Thanks in advance!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Question about growth rate for C. similis

Post by MatsP »

Don't really see the purpose of giving Hikari Algae wafers to a Cory (not that it's VERY different in contents from the "Cory" food that Hikari produces).

I have had C. similis for more than a year, and they are definitely not growing much.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Adding frozen blood worms to their diet would help their growth as would feeding live newly hatched brine shrimp regularly.
As small as newly hatched brine shrimp are, even adult Corydoras love it and it is a very good food.
Culturing Grindal or white worms and feeding those daily will also greatly improve growth rates.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Post by ranmasan »

As small as newly hatched brine shrimp are, even adult Corydoras love it and it is a very good food.

Sorry for the late reply (recently recovered from a very long bout with mono) -- I've been feeding my little guys the hatchlings and they seem to be happier... not sure that I can detect growth yet (I'm sure that will be quite slow and mostly unnoticeable), but they are very "frisky" and obviously happy :wink: .

Mats, thanks again for the quick reply and a.m., thank you for the great advice! :thumbsup:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”