How long before starvation?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

How long before starvation?

Post by Andy »

Hi guys,

I've got an anadorus grypus in my tank that hasn't eaten yet as far as I know. I've already mentioned the feeding problems in the tank on another thread and followed those tips but I was wondering when I should begin to be worried. I bought it about ten days ago (last monday).
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I would start worrying if the fish hasn't eaten in two weeks.
Andy
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

I hope it won't take that long, I saw it eat at the lfs and it was almost as piggish as a costatus.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

How big is the fish? Don't larger cats tend to eat only once every week or so?
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

If the fish is reasonably healthy and has any fat reserves at all, it can likely go a month or more without eating. Don't worry, it had to settle into the LFS tanks as well, and you saw it eat there.

Sincerely,
Pau E. Turley
Andy

Post by Andy »

He (maybe a she but who can tell?) is about 13 cm long and looks very lean, I don't think he's got all too big fat reserves. As far as I can tell he's quite healthy, just not so hungry at the moment.

Andy
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Did you put any new fish into the tank or did you did a water change during these days?Dorads are afraid of water changes when they are newly introduced to the tank and are also afraid of new fishes and as a result they dont come out to eat.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Yes and yes Kostas. A couple of days after introduction I changed aprox. 30% of the water and a few days after that I introduced two ancistrus into the tank.
Do you think he'll get settled enough to eat before he starves? I'm a bit overdue for another waterchange as it is and I'm almost afraid of what the nitrates have risen to by now.
When can I do another waterchange in your opinion?
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

If nitrates have risen alot (>50) do water change if not wait until he eats.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I've just done a water test (aquavital multistick) and as far as I can tell there are almost no nitrates that can be detected but the pH seems to be above 8,4.
The water around here is, I think, very soft and the substrate in the tank is called english sea stones, in other words small ( about 2 mm diameter) and rounded. I'm not sure about it but I beginning to suspect that it is the factor raising the pH.
Reiner
Location 1: Los Angeles

Post by Reiner »

Judging by the name " English see stones" and knowing that the high cliffs on the coast in England are limestone I think you know what raises your pH. Check with the company that made the gravel and ask them what it is.But I guess it is limestone
Andy

Post by Andy »

I've just checked the pH again and its approx. 6.5 to just below 7 so I think the softness of the water and the unusual high temperature here is what gave the earlier reading. The water heer is, as I've stated earlier, is quite soft and prone to wide fluctuations. I've also talked to the guys at the nearest LFS and they weren't too worried about the substrate as they use the same for their tanks and they have nice and healthy fish.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Ph around 7 is fine.
Did your Anadorus ate?
Andy

Post by Andy »

Yes!

I finally saw the anadorus eat. I tried some red mosquitoe larvae he was definately out there eating, not that much but at least something.
I'll wait untill midweek to do a waterchange as I'm probably going to recieve some spotted raphaels on Friday if I'm lucky.

thanks for the tips and info,

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”