Golden Nugget size

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
blonc
Location 2: Frösön, Sweden

Golden Nugget size

Post by blonc »

Hi,

I saw one of these at the LFS and the fellow running it told me it wouldn't get much larger than the 6 inches that it was at the time. That doesn't jive with the info here and I was wondering if that was just a lot of hot air (kinda like a fish will never outgrow its tank)?

/Andy
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Golden Nugget size

Post by Richard B »

depends on which L number it actually is - it could go double that if it was the right species in a big tank.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
blonc

Post by blonc »

so... which L-number should I be looking for if I have a 190 litre tank?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

blonc wrote:so... which L-number should I be looking for if I have a 190 litre tank?
Supposedly, the smallest size is attained by . In my experience (along several others), they do not grow very quickly either. Also, I will update the Cat-eLog to indicate more vegetarian diet on Gold Nuggets, they are not carnivores at all.

However, I'm afraid to say that the maximum size may not be accurate, and it is likely in my opinion that ALL of the Gold nuggets are variants of the same species, which means that they should within reason grow to the same size.

--
Mats
blonc

Post by blonc »

thanks for the heads-up.. I guess I'll have to rethink buying one of them then. A 190L corner tank isn't going to be enough for one of them at full size.
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

If you don't plan on getting a bigger tank in nearer future, don't buy it. At 6" it is quite large already (compared to 2" they usually have in the shops here). I'd say it is a bit big for your tank already.
Cheers,
Tina
blonc

Post by blonc »

That's a shame, I guess I'll not be getting any Golden Nuggets in the forseeable future since I don't have the space yet for abigger tank.

Thanks,
Andy
Rohan Richardson
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Melbourne Australia

Post by Rohan Richardson »

Can you post a picture of the fish in question? I own all three types of gold nuggets and i don't wish to see you discouraged by potentially wrong information. If you can upload the picture i can then tell you if the tank you own is large enough(i believe it certainly is however this depends on which type of nugget it actually is) i have a pair in a standard 4' tank that are a good 7". Rohan R :thumbsup:
blonc

Post by blonc »

The problem is that the one in the store isn't for sale and the owner said he'd be getting a shipment of assorted L-numbers (including Golden Nuggets) in about two weeks so I'm not sure at the moment which variant he's ordered. I'm hoping that it'll be the smaller kind so fingers crossed :)
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

I still say that a 190l corner tank is a bit small for a 6" Baryancistrus. I have a 5+" L177 and a 6" L205 in 200l (rectangular) and this is not going to work much longer. I'm looking for a bigger tank already. And imho a triangular (or quarter circle) tank is not as good for larger fish as a rectangular one with the same volume.

If the golden nuggets he's selling are much smaller, your tank will be OK for a few years. But eventually it will get too small.
Cheers,
Tina

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”