L81 nuggets

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Rohan Richardson
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Melbourne Australia

L81 nuggets

Post by Rohan Richardson »

My male L81 is chasing his girl like crazy to get her into his cave lol. I got him about 6-7 months back at 3.5-4inches and he's now about 5.5-6 inches the girl is about 6 inches in length. they are in a 4x2x2ft. tank by themselves at about 30c. This is the second go for them so i hope he gets it right this time around. To those saying they only grow at an inch a year you need to change your keeping methods for better growth. I only feed mine once at night and i'll happily make them starve on occasion to get them to eat some soft wood to keep their intestines nice and clear of obstructions this keeps them happy and healthy as can be. :lol: :thumbsup: Rohan R
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: L81 nuggets

Post by MatsP »

In your PM you asked to ament the Cat-eLog with your information.

I'm happy to do that if you explain which sections of it is incorrect.

If you can provide details of what you are doing that is different from most of everyone else that keeps these fish, it would also help.

--
Mats
Rohan Richardson

1. That they only grow an inch a year in general(incorrect)., 2. That they require constant feeding to grow(incorrect). and 3.That they will breed at 4.5-5inches(12+cm correct) in length instead of 6-7 inches in length(incorrect). Rohan R
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Rohan Richardson wrote:1. That they only grow an inch a year in general(incorrect)., 2. That they require constant feeding to grow(incorrect). and 3.That they will breed at 4.5-5inches(12+cm correct) in length instead of 6-7 inches in length(incorrect). Rohan R
Sorry, but I still don't see what I need to change. You disagree with their growth rate, ok. So what number should I put in there? 3 inches per year? Can you describe exactly what you do to make them grow that fast? If I describe that they grow relatively quickly (and I don't really doubt that they do under the right conditions!)

Have you bred a 4.5" fish? Or are you simply saying that because the female is being chased by the male?

And how much and how often do you recon is correct feeding regime (may be covered in the first question about what you do differently to others)

And no, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just trying to make sure that what I put in the Cat-eLog is representative and useful for those who read the Cat-eLog. It's no point in simply removing a statement that they grow slowly and replace it with "grows from 3 to 4.5" in half a year", if the most peoples experience will be that they can't see the fish grow ever [which is my experience with L177, unfortunately].

--
Mats
Rohan Richardson

1. That they can grow at least two inches per year., 2. That an adult male(12cm+) will seek to chase a female into his cave(for spawning)., 3.That a single algae wafer(12mm dia.) fed at night is enough to achieve this growth rate if in a good size tank ; namely at least a standard 4' or a 4'x2'x2' when at an average of 30c especially when only gaining a water change of 50% after at least three weeks(without a sump tank) so as to keep a good amount of the necessary gut bacteria in the water for easy digestion of food. and 4. That at least once a week to forgo feeding as to force the fish to eat wood(soft wood-mangrove root) as this keeps the intestinal tract free of obstructions allowing for good growth,conditioning for breeding etc...
Don't worry mat i never thought you were having a go(still good that you make that clear for pc patrons).
Rohan R ps. I should also say that an empty fish tank with a pair of air stones should be used to to oxygenate,harden,dechlorinate and then re-oxygenate water is advisable for the best results for all gold nugget species!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”