The Shampupa Panaque Finally assigned as L418

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SoCalDiscus
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Irvine, CA

The Shampupa Panaque Finally assigned as L418

Post by SoCalDiscus »

Heads up Pleco fans! The Shampupa Panaque finally was given an L number: L418.
SoCalDiscus

Re: The Shampupa Panaque Finally assigned as L418

Post by SoCalDiscus »

Pleco! Pleco! Pleco!!! No? Still going to edit my announcement of scientific information with a superstitious *??? :( :?: :?: :?:
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

L#'s are scientific?? :roll:

Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
SoCalDiscus

Post by SoCalDiscus »

Congratulation. This is why I stay a lurker, and many people don't want to post. I didn't say it was a classified species, but just that it was moving forward with a number. A L number acknowledging a possible species is more scientific than stuffing an * in instead of an 'e'. Guess what! I think my plecos heard me typing that e in and they all died. :lol: Back to being a lurker rather than putting up with this crap.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

SoCalDiscus wrote:Congratulation. This is why I stay a lurker, and many people don't want to post. I didn't say it was a classified species, but just that it was moving forward with a number. A L number acknowledging a possible species is more scientific than stuffing an * in instead of an 'e'. Guess what! I think my plecos heard me typing that e in and they all died. :lol: Back to being a lurker rather than putting up with this crap.
Wow! That's a bit harsh, don't you think. Is that THIS forum, or forum's in general? I feel that this forum is quite well balanced - there are some forums where there is a lot of chit-chat and threads constantly leaving their original subject. On one other forum where I frequently post/read, we have a lot of pedantry - much more than pointing out that L-numbers aren't scientific [they aren't - but they are a better intermediate form than common names].

One of the problem with a written medium, like forums, is that you can't really tell the difference between "joking" and "serious". Knowing Dave Rinaldo (I have actually met him in person), I don't think he said that in any way to upset you.

Going back to your original complaint:
It is actually up to you whether you get a * or not in pleco. I admit it's not the most simple thing to find, but here's how you set it:
Go to User Control Panel
Select the Board Preferences Tab
Select the Edit Display Options sub-tab
Select Enable Word Censoring as Yes/No (Yes = Pl<star>co, No = Pl<e>co)

This setting applies to ALL of the forum side of Planet Catfish (although if someone types in pl<star>co, it won't translate it back!).

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My images: 1
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

too bad it only applies to pleco, not to cichlid :wink:

But still better than no option
cats have whiskers
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Bas Pels wrote:too bad it only applies to pleco, not to cichlid :wink:

But still better than no option
It applies to both - I can see the cichlid as just that.

--
Mats
SoCalDiscus

Post by SoCalDiscus »

Well, honestly, I just feel very strongly about this type of response. For me, this website represents is a great resource where I spend my time trying to learn, and always refer people to telling them how wonderful it is. So when all I see from someone is a criticism and an eye roll, rather than a correction with helpful information I get frustrated; not for me, but for what it does to a forum. Rather than spreading information, it ends up scaring off people who would otherwise love to ask questions, make comments, and participate in the exchange of knowledge. This is a small community of dedicated people to start with, and most people think we're insane for the level at which we keep fish. I love this website and feel it has so much to offer that maybe I'm overly defensive and protective, but I do not want to see it go the way of some of the other sites.

So thank you to everyone who has sent me information on how to turn off the *. I'm here several hours a week trying to learn more, but don't post very often. When I asked about it when I was a Newbie, the only thing I got was that it was censored, and nothing was said about being able to turn it off.

So back to the pleco...
I've had mine since probably September or earlier. He's is a very active pleco, even during the day. He spends a lot of time foraging, and can stand his ground, but doesn't bother anyone unless they come looking for trouble. Since he lives with such a wide variety of fish, he gets served a buffet: blood worms, mysis shrimp, krill, market shrimp, tilapia, massivore (actually all the carnivore wafers of all sizes), algae wafers, sinking cichlid pellets, tetra color bits, random steamed veggies, etc., and of course theres tons of wood in the tank. He's pretty much a garbage disposal, but he seems to prefer carnivorous foods not going after the veggies even when offered alone. He's in with discus and has never bothered them. He's well fed so no saying is he was starving if those flat sides would start looking tasty. I'm keeping him at 6.5 pH, 78 temp, and low GH around 6. He's never had any diseases, but I generally have a healthy tank. My tank is heavily stocked, but there is tons of wood so everyone has they're own room. I also change the water weekly with a 75% change (no freaking! The water chemistry is all matched before in a mixing drum before its put in. Other than the water levels changing and the water being cleaner, they don't have a clue any water is being changed.) So, this is my experience with them. He's been doing well, and I really enjoy having him. Its nice to have a pleco I get to see all the time for a change. (Actually just found a catfish today I forgot I had! It was a moment of "What the..." Followed with a thought of, "You might have too many fish when..." At least he's a fat healthy toad of a Pterodoras granulosus. It was like getting a new fish all over again without a ding in the wallet. :D )

I'd love to hear what other's people experience is with the L418. :peace:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”