Fishless Cycling

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Greg Curtis
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Stuarts Draft, Virginia 24477
Location 2: Virginia USA
Interests: Sports Cars, Tropical Fish, Catfish, Photography, Guitar

Fishless Cycling

Post by Greg Curtis »

I'm in the process of cycling one of my tanks with pure ammonia. Should I remove my carbon or leave it in while doing the cycling.
Greg
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Re: Fishless Cycling

Post by andywoolloo »

Is the carbon easily removed? I would probably remove it. I am not sure if it makes a difference. Will the carbon be trying to remove the ammonia you are adding?

I do not use carbon in my filters. I save it to be used to removes meds if necessary.
plec0
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Macon,Georgia

Post by plec0 »

I like using bacteria supplement when doing a cycle. Its always worked for me when I needed it for a new tank and new filters. I would remove the carbon if you're doing a fishless cycle as well. Using pure ammonia is another way of doing it too. Can you get ahold of some bacteria supplement if so give it a try . can't go wrong, never lost a fish due to that process.
Greg Curtis
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Stuarts Draft, Virginia 24477
Location 2: Virginia USA
Interests: Sports Cars, Tropical Fish, Catfish, Photography, Guitar

Post by Greg Curtis »

Thanks guys, I am using pure ammonia for a fishless cycle and was afraid the carbon would remove some of the ammonia I'm trying to build up. Its outta there now.
Greg
OldMan
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 9 (i:0)
Location 2: Forsyth, IL, USA
Interests: Tropical fish, carpentry, photography

Post by OldMan »

After the first day or two, carbon will not make any difference in ammonia fishless cycling. It will no longer be able to remove any ammonia by then. If you have another tank or know someone who does, try cleaning a filter in the tank before you dose your ammonia. The bacteria that you are trying to develop in your filter will be present when you are cleaning out a conditioned filter and will start the process in the new filter better than any additive you can buy anywhere. Another option, if the media are compatible, is to use some media from an established filter to jump start the new one. Just put it right into the new filter and replace that part of the old filter with new media. This kind of filter clone can get you up and running in less than a week of fishless cycling.

Return to “Tank Talk”