Bought as L-129

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Mats H. O. Hansen
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Norway

Bought as L-129

Post by Mats H. O. Hansen »

I think it looks more like a L-199, and not a chocolate zebrapleco(have readen that the number of it is L-129(one of them)), but, can anyone help me? :?: looked in the Back to nature guide book, but the L-129`s there didn`t look so much alike.
PS: sorry bad pictures :wink:
Attachments
L-malle 002.jpg
L-malle 001.jpg
Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
My images: 22
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Re: Bought as L-129

Post by Jon »

I'd say the seller was correct.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

L129's are pretty variable - probably due to regional differences, but one of the experts here can confirm that. I've seen some that are mostly black with fine yellow lines, some with wide yellow lines, and some with wide white lines. The nicer looking ones are often sold as L340.

I think you just have a nice looking yellow L129.
Mats H. O. Hansen

Thanks for the answers :D

I have one more question: How long time does it take before it starts to "know" when its feeding time, and eat something?
I putted a cucumber in the aquarium, but no one seems to have touchen it :?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Vegetables of the cucumber persuasion seem to be touch and go with hypancistrus, depending on the individual fish. I would stick to meatier foods, especially if it's a new tenant. Get him well nourished before experimenting with foodstuffs.
Mats H. O. Hansen

Ok :thumbsup:
Mats H. O. Hansen

Do you(any) have any suggestions for meaty food to give him?
drpleco

Post by drpleco »

for new fish, live blackworms and frozen bloodworms are usually good foods. frozen brine shrimp can be OK, but I usually start on live worms and then go from there.

For a prepared food, I like New Life Spectrum pellets (1mm) for my plecos, but I'm not sure if they're available in your area. If you can get them, though, they're just a great food for all types of plecos.

Zuccini is worth a try later on. Hypancistrus will eat the skin, so I cut it into "spears" rather than in slices. Other vegetarian plecos are more likely to eat the whilte meat of the zuccini. Cucumber has less nutritional value. Hypancistrus will also munch on driftwood as a source of roughage, even though most people will tell you that they don't. So get a piece of wood for him, too.
Mats H. O. Hansen

I have to quite big pieces of wood in the aquarium, so thats ok :foggie:
I have one type pellets that i have gotten from my uncle with a catfish i got from him.
Should I try them maybe?
Mats H. O. Hansen

Is this something that can look like the food you use?

'http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html
drpleco

Post by drpleco »

That's the right brand, but I use either the cichlid formula or the general purpose pellets. They're essentially the same thing. The thera a+ food just had a ton more garlic, which helps purge parasites and also can stimulate feeding. It'll stink up the room pretty badly, though. 1mm pellets seem a good size for plecos, though there are smaller and larger pellets available.

The food also dissolves very well, helping both fish digestion and ease of cleaning the filter. It's a win-win. :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

As stated, zuchinni might work, though my fish choose to ignore it.

However, as far as greenery which most, if not all loricariidae will relish, go, tinned peas and board beans are certainly favorites. I feed all my fish with that crap at least one meal a day.
drpleco

Post by drpleco »

drgold wrote:L129's are pretty variable - probably due to regional differences, but one of the experts here can confirm that. I've seen some that are mostly black with fine yellow lines, some with wide yellow lines, and some with wide white lines. The nicer looking ones are often sold as L340. I think you just have a nice looking yellow L129.
To backup what I wrote earlier, take a look at this picture. This is NOT MINE, but taken from an old aquabid auction by Snakeskin. I'm not sure how to better credit the original photographer than that. Anywho, there are two types of fish in the picture (wide yellow lines and wide white lines) but all are L129 (as currently described, anyway). They might be two different species, but they fall under the same umbrella for now. It's more likely, I would think, that they're just morphological differences in fish from slightly different areas. None are L199 or 340, however.

Mats H. O. Hansen

So L-129 can be much variable.OK=)
It have just started eating, but it just eat for 10-20 sec per day, but its a start. It is the pellets i mentioned it is eating a little bit of=)
I hope it start to eat a little bit more soon :!:
When i saw him/her eating today, it looked like its at not thin :thumbsup:
I'll try to give him the same food at the same time for a while now, and see what happens :foggie:
He has also a little bit competition from the corys, but i saw him when he ate, and he had no problem whith it :)

Return to “What is my catfish?”