L200

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Pooks73
Location 1: NYC

L200

Post by Pooks73 »

I was thinking of adding 2 or 3 L200's to my 90 gallon planted discus tank. I had a L091 in there, but he suddenly and unexpectedly died last week. I'm still working on trying to figure out why.

But anyway, back to the L200's. I only have one real cave in the tank, although there is a large piece of driftwood that could act as a home to any plec looking for a hide out. Would there be any issue with compatibility or temperature in this tank? pH is 6.8, temp 84. Other tank mates are 6 clown loaches, 25 cardinal tetras and 7 discus.

They like to eat algae and spriulina wafers, as well as krill and bloodworms, right? Anything else I should know about them before I buy?

Thanks!
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Two things would worry me about L200s in this set-up.

One: Six Clown loaches world represent a significant amount of harassment for any new bottom dweller. That and these fish do grow quite large (although they do it fairly slowly).

Two: Most traditional "Planted Tanks" lack the heavy aeration Rheolophilic plecos like L200 and your deceased Leporacanthicus triactus (L91) prefer. Add to that, Discus typically do not like allot of water movement. I would guess that (relative to the native streams L200 and L91 come from) the dissolved oxygen in your tank is likely quite low. That is fine for your current inhabitants. All the fish you list can tolerate or ever thrive in such conditions.

There are other Loricariids you could choose. One that was discussed in a recent post would be a small Acanthicus adonis (although they get big!).

L-90b Panaque spp. is another species that doesn't seem to mind lower O2 levels (from Yarana Cocha, Peru). I am certain there are many more that would be better suited to your current tank conditions.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

or you could add more bubble up oxygen that ur discus wont seem to mind.. :) I have friends over here, who have plecs with discus and planted tanks and seem to b doing fine.. gudluck :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Gonna be too hot for the L200's and I suspect that is what you lost your L. triactis to (which incidentaly is found not a million miles away from L200 habitat).

L14 is a good "show" pleco that'll take discus conditions and not eat plants - it's also pretty bold during the day.

Jools
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

While your six clown loaches don't mind hanging out together, multiple plecos often do! You would need to create more comfortable hiding places for your plecos. I have three L200's and an L91 together and not one of them tolerates the other in his territory! They all have designated resting places. 84 degrees is also pretty warm for the plecos you are interested in.
Amazon Robert
Location 1: SW Michigan, USA
Interests: Fish, Collies, greenhouse(orchids/tropicals) and landscape gardening, handyman stuff

Contrary to previous replies...

Post by Amazon Robert »

I've kept an L-200 in a 120 gal. HEAVILY planted, CO2 injected tank with 8 large wild Discus and large schools of Cardinals and Rummy Nose and misc. Cory's and L-plecos. The tank is at 84-85 degrees. The L-200 has been there for two years and has been one of the highlights due to his beauty BUT...he RAVAGES all varieties of Sword plants in the tank. He starts gnawing on the surface of the leaves until they're just a thin web of veins. A love-hate relationship.

Bob

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”