Catfish species tank

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
chinnp

Catfish species tank

Post by chinnp »

I have a 20 gallon tank that is almost completely cycled. Nitrite and ammonia are both falling fast. I am wanting to set up a "catfish only" tank. I'm wanting to display the variety of different catfish there are and how there is more to a catfish then just the huge behemoth who sits on the riverbottom and eats anything smelly.

I'm looking for suggestions of what kinds of cat's to stock and how many of each. I'm planning on definitely keeping 3-4 cories (love those little guys) and 3-4 glass cats (will stock them last) and possibly also 1-2 upside down cats. Beyond that I'm not sure. Looking for any suggestions.

Paul
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

possibly a peckoltia or 2, maybe one of the brighter species such as L134 or something... if the tank is meant as a statement of diversity and beauty within catfish.

was trying to think of other midwater swimmers (other than the glass cats), but many of them are pretty big.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Small midwater swimmers other than glass cats:
Swallowtail cats (<i>Pareutropius buffei</i>)
<i>Hyalobagrus</i>
<i>Neotropius</i>/<i>Pseudeutropius</i>
Small woodcats (although they're bottom dwellers during the day).
chinnp

Post by chinnp »

I was having a hard time also coming up with catfish that inhabit the mid-water range. Was thinking of adding a banjo cat or a twig cat. Thought that was add some variety to the tank.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

How about a small shoal of Dianema longibarbis? They're a midwater swimmer. There's also Pimelodus pictus; it's a predator, but doesn't get very big. A group of 'Tengara' Mystus would be quite active in the lower midwater area.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
chinnp

Post by chinnp »

My apologies for not replying earlier, but I've been out of town and just got back. I have the 20 gallon tall tank. Should I look at getting a 30 gallon to keep these fish in?

Return to “Speak Easy”