Corydoras Virginiae temperature range

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bavaria36
Location 1: Houston

Post by bavaria36 »

Hi,

I recently acquired a group of 10 Cory Virginiae and they are doing very well in a 120 gallon tank. They seem to eat everything and are very active although still a little skittish. Does anyone have experience at keeping these cories. They are in a discus tank so temperatures are between 83-85 degf. I have kept Sterbais succesfully at these temperatures but was wondering whether the Virginiaie will do Ok too.

I did a quick search on the web but could not find any really good information.

Aaron
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Corydoras Virginiae temperature range

Post by MatsP »

I have no information. If we look at the recommended temperature for other fishes from Rio Ucayali, they range from the below 20'C(68'F) and above 30'C(86'F). Normally, rivers in tropical regions are relatively stable temperature, so my only guess would be that either this river ranges quite a lot in temperature from a high level down to where it joins other rivers to get into the Amazon proper, or some of the fishes that come from the area are actually caught in rivers that lead into the Ucayali. There is, unfortunately, no information on this particular fish.

Edit: Fishbase lists 22-26'C. (72-79'F), that information appears to come from the Baensch Atlas Vol 1.

--
Mats
evesonevo
My cats species list: 19 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 2: merseyside,england

Post by evesonevo »

Hi, i have a trio of these beautiful corys in a large community tank along with another dozen or so corys, they're kept quite happily at 75f/24c.
They're normally first to the food and are generally quite active for a cory but a slight movement in the room will send them scarpering for cover, where as some of the other corys notably c.concolor wouldn't move for an earthquake.
bavaria36

Post by bavaria36 »

Thks for the feedback. Is this a scarce cory ? I was surprised at how little information I could dig up about them.

Aaron
bslindgren
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by bslindgren »

This site http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/coryd ... iniae.html says 82 F. Nice looking fish!
bavaria36

Post by bavaria36 »

I will try and maintain the temperature at around 82-84degf. This should be fine for the discus and will give the cories a chance to do well. I can already see a couple of fish which look like females that could be full of eggs already.

Aaron
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

Werner Seuss, a very experienced german cory keeper and breeder, suggests in his booklet 23-27 °C (73-80 F).
84 F seems to be very warm for long term keeping.

Cheers,
--

Karsten

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”