Is this normal behaviour or not?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Is this normal behaviour or not?

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Yesterday i fed my Platydoras Costatus at night and he came out to feed quite normaly.I fed him bloodworms.But five o clock at night i woke up because he was croacking VERY loudly.I turned on my desk light to see if he was fighting with my clown pleco and i find him swimming against my tank powerhead.He was not fighting with any of my fish.When i turned off the lights he started croacking again after a few seconds.Is this a normal behaviour for doradids or he is sick?
My water parametres are:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:very very little

Thanks in advance.
Pectorale
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

Hi Kostas,

I think it's normal, mine do that usually once each year.Probably has something to do with migratory behaviour in the wild.They'll leave the deep river parts to search for fruit and nesting places after the rains and return to the deeper water in the dry season.They have to because they can't breath air( like Pl*cos). Large waterchanges and/or adding fruits and fresh veggies can trigger such a response.

Pectorale
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Thanks a lot Pectorale :wink: I have started wondering if he has something.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”