10"Pleco-Price?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yeattsca
Location 2: charlotte NC
Interests: Swimming,triathalons,spug guns, kiteflying, and of corse aquariums

10"Pleco-Price?

Post by yeattsca »

I am looking to sell a 10" pleco int he near future, how much would you suggest selling it for?
keep it real!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: 10"pl*co-Price?

Post by Barbie »

You should search for someone that can adequately house the fish first and foremost. They get too big for most people to house and a responsible owner should be the first priority. At my shop, I don't purchase them, I will take them for people wanting to rehome them, and then I only give them to people with tanks large enough to house them long term.

Barbie
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Barbie - your priority should be finding someone who can look after the fish.

And large common plecos' are not valuable. Large plecos of exotic varieties certainly can be very valuable - but if it's a common, do not expect to get more than you paid for it when it was small.

Here in the UK, shops will sell them for about £10-15. Said shops will also take them off customers who can't look after them any more for free. The price they charge is to cover the cost of housing them for some time before they can find a suitable buyer/home for them. I have seen shops with 5-6 10+" plecos in holding tanks. My local usually has 2-3 in stock - they do sell the ones they have from time to time, but a new one turns up almost as quickly. I have never seen my local shop to be "empty" of large plecos - but I'm sure it happens.

--
Mats
yeattsca
Location 2: charlotte NC
Interests: Swimming,triathalons,spug guns, kiteflying, and of corse aquariums

Post by yeattsca »

Thanks I'll kep thet well in mind while finding a better home. :D
keep it real!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”