ID Panaque please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
charles
Location 2: Vancouver B.C. Canada

ID Panaque please

Post by charles »

This one is L190...

How about this one? I tried no flash, no edit so the color stays true to the actual fish.

Thank you for your help.
husky_jim
My images: 12
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:98)
Spotted: 12
Location 2: Athens-Greece
Interests: Music,Bikes,Dobermann and Catfish!!!

Re: ID Panaque please

Post by husky_jim »

1st Fish: (L418) - It is too 'greenish' in that pic.Is it it's actual color?I might be wrong on this....

2nd Fish:

:thumbsup:
Loracidlover
My images: 2
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: southwest england

Post by Loracidlover »

I'd say both Panaque nigrolineatus; this fish, in my experience, can change the stripe colour pretty significantly according to age and situation. When exposed and in strong light or stressed they tend to edge towards the brighter stripes, the only other fish No.1 could be is L330, if it has a spotted belly. Young L418 panaque sp. "peru" look very very similair to L191, and not very much like pic 1.

Conrad
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Both are L190 or L330,depending on if they have spots on some part of their body or not...The first cannot be a Peru Green due to wrong eye color and the stripes being continuous with no ''cuts'' :wink:
The second seems like an L190 for sure but check his belly first for spots...The first seems likely to have spots elsewhere too as some spots form on his pectoral fin's hard rays and on his adipose fin...Check his belly too...If there are spots,he is an L330,if not,it would be better to wait and see how he develops as many small L190s that have spots on fins and nowhere else loose them with age...If he is an L330,he will continue to have spots even when bigger,when lines dont just happen to cross and form spots that open with age,as in the case of young L190 with a few spots on their fins :wink:

Conrad,it seems we were typing together :)
charles

Post by charles »

Both of them have no spots on the belly.
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Both L190s then but wait for the first one a few years to grow and see how the spots on the fins develop before being 100% sure about that...They should go away but you never know... :wink:
charles

Post by charles »

thank you. It is just odd that all 20 of those (second pictures) are in the color of what the fish shows. I am so used to the green color of all the L190 i get.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

You are welcome! :)
L190 populations from different locations differ in base color somewhat and a lot in their stripe pattern(width of stripes,''density'' of their network,etc)...

Return to “What is my catfish?”