Baby leaves

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Baby leaves

Post by Farid »

Hi there,
about three weeks my leaf fish laid eggs for the first time. some eggs fell on the ground. as i thought maybe all eggs will be on the ground next morning i decided to separate them all. so i kept them in a acrylic pipe (in the same tank!) with a very fine net, some airbubbles from outside to get a slight movement of water until they hatch. here is the result..as most of the eggs got fungus...two survived

this is a tip of javamoss you you can imagine how small they are!!

this is how they look when they're big (semi adult on photo)

live from zurich :lol:
farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Baby leaves

Post by Birger »

Interesting shape to those little guys...I can only imagine how hard it is too get a good photo of one of these
Birger
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

simply amazing. :thumbsup:
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

:shock:

great job! keeping these things is a challenge, breeding them even more so.....has it been bred before at all?
you might be the first :thumbsup:
Valar Morghulis
Farid

Post by Farid »

Good morning :wink:

yeah it took me quite a while to get it sharp, at this makro distance each little move messes the picture up...

here some of the early days. above the head is a br :wink: ine shrimp

2 days old, could hardly see that the fish was breathing while moving it's mouth

i read a article in a magazine about breding them so there must be another guy having also baby leaves :)

farid
Last edited by Farid on 07 Nov 2008, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Good work! :thumbsup: I'm sure this is not something that is easy to do
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Farid

Post by Farid »

hi richard,
until now i have to say that i guess if the eggs would have been all o.k. i would have had the chance get more out of the eggs...a second try of the pair (more eggs) failed as in the next morning all of them were gone and the male was hdden again. (this during 2 weeks time) i dont really know it they were no finished laying eggs or if they manage to lay eggs twice in a month...

updates soon
farid
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

very nice pics!

Farid, i read once that these leave fish (when adult) need their own weight in food every day, is this true in your experience? and if so, what do you feed them?

great job on breeding them! :thumbsup:
Greetings, Tim
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Good work.

Very nice photos.

Any details of the tank set-up, water parameters, diet etc?
Farid

Post by Farid »

Good evening, ( in europe :D )

i keep them in a 80x42x50cm tank, very fine black sand, 27°C, the water has a conductivity of about 220microsiemens, ph...never measured, a 18W Fluorescent lamp, 840 lumen.
a bit peace of wood on the back, loing leaved plants...also valisneria, one bis leaved echinodorus ....(dont know the whole name) this is where they lay their eggs on the backside of the leaf. so the male needs so swim quite flat to fan the eggs :?
here is the male with the eggs...(i read it is the male guarding them...)
See HERE http://www.img-box.de/53904/
a foto of the tank will follow.
i have to catfish tanks where i breed guppies(this is the name we call them in german...) i feed them about once to twice a week depending on food-fishes available...if someone brings me many fishes as food they get 20 to 30 guppies...they usually survive about 5to 15 minutes...some small ones hide for the next few days until the leaves find them...they got no chance :twisted:

infra red light at night
http://www.img-box.de/25131/

other inhabitants are
corydoras adolfoi, and a catfisch called LG6.

i keep the babies in this pipe so i can control them how they eat. and grow :D
http://www.img-box.de/54117/

here playing leave as the foodfishes are to clever get caught of the leaves...so they start to imitate (not as usual just aproach to get them)
stuck on the filter to wait for them > http://www.img-box.de/47781/
laying around as a leaf > http://www.img-box.de/29127/

farid
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

sidguppy wrote::shock:

great job! keeping these things is a challenge, breeding them even more so.....has it been bred before at all?
you might be the first :thumbsup:

These have been bred in the aquarium before (as have SA leaf fish), but it is far from a common experience.

Great work and excellent photos to document the growth. Perhaps we will see a more complete description in a magazine somewhere?
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Farid

Post by Farid »

UPDATE,
two days ago i found another leaf with a huge amount of eggs...i thought i will cut the leaf the next morning to save the eggs. the next morning the eggs were gone :roll:

i had yellow slugs/snales (dont now the name in english) in the tank...since i placed them in a different tank :evil:

farid
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

a snail does carry a house, a slug doesn't

If i were my tank, the snails/slugs would be dying a painfull dead :oops:
cats have whiskers
Farid

Post by Farid »

hi,
so snails then :lol:
farid
Farid

Post by Farid »

UPDATE
die babies died yesterday...??? but the male is faning again. this time i will wait two days and then take the eggs into my baby acrylic pite to seperate them.

farid
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

i had yellow slugs/snales (dont now the name in english) in the tank..
Were these the large apple snails?

If so I would definitely agree in removing them.

If they are the usual aquarium species such as Physa and Melanoides, these are okay, and often used deliberately when breeding fish to remove only the dead eggs.

I would suspect the eggs are dying of fungus and/or bacteria, as they are used to a low pH germ free environment in the wild.

You could try rearing the eggs in a methylene blue solution, use some salt, or get a UV unit.
Farid

Post by Farid »

Hi Racoll ( 8) )
right so they are also called apple snails in english (in translation from german)
i removed them since the last eggs were gone. again i found eggs three days ago, as i found a babyfish last time while taking photos, i left the male faning the eggs. if they hatched or died or what ever i don't know...if i'm lucky i will find some babyfish in about 5 days time as they laid aroud for about 4 days the first time. if not i will denfinetly remove the leave to but it in a methylen blue solution (i got all these chemicals here :twisted: ) i also got a UV filter. maybe i will plug it on :wink:

cheers
farid

Return to “Tank Talk”