How to or tips please

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
hotsauce48
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: by the computer
Location 2: B-More
Interests: Fish,guitar,sports

How to or tips please

Post by hotsauce48 »

I would like to know or have some tips on setting up a planted South-American 30 gal.
I was thinking about having 1 pleco some neons,glowlights and some clams.I also wanted some brazilian pennywort,ludwigia ovalis,amazon sword,frogbit,riccia,narrow lreaf dwarf saggs,lobelia ( small form ) and bacopa myriophylloidses. What I really wanted to know is how to set it up.The tank is new so first I was going to add washed gravel ( natural ) and a little bit of water with some bacteria.Then I was thinking about adding the already rooted plants in the gravel and atatching some to driftwood.Then I was going to let it sit for about a week, then fill it up with water.By this time my fish will be here and I will float them and then add them in the tank.I will feed my plants and fish but I just want to know how to set up my tank.
McTeague
Location 2: Indiana

Re: How to or tips please

Post by McTeague »

For a tank to be ready for live plants it must be aged a minimum of 90 days and six months to a year is even better.

Also, do not be tempted to look for the solution in a bottle. Liquid fertilizers cause more headaches than anything else.

Crypt wendtii is a great first plant.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

I don't think any of the plants you list are the sort that naturally attach themselves to bogwood :( - you'll need to try anubias, java fern, java moss. :D
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
McTeague
Location 2: Indiana

Post by McTeague »

Richard B wrote:I don't think any of the plants you list are the sort that naturally attach themselves to bogwood :( - you'll need to try anubias, java fern, java moss. :D
I would agree, I have had great results with java moss it looks great and attaches easily. Also once you get it going you may produce enough to trade back to the pet store.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”