Diff btwn Ancistrus cirrhosus & Ancistrus "Columbia"?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Diff btwn Ancistrus cirrhosus & Ancistrus "Columbia"?

Post by ranmasan »

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between the two? I've thoroughly examined all the pics of the bristlenose pl*cs in the database and (with the additional information from my LFS) have narrowed the field down to one of the two (although I have a young female and am unable to compare the tentacles).

Any information would be appreciated & thanks in advance :)
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: Diff btwn Ancistrus cirrhosus & Ancistrus "Columbia"?

Post by Mike_Noren »

I've never seen in real life, but judging from the picture here at Planetcatfish one obvious difference is that the spots are of approximately equal size over the entirety of the body, while have small spots on the head and progressively larger spots towards the tail.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I'd love someone to do some biochemical systematic work on Ancistrus species- my gut feeling is that we're more or less dealing with different regional populations of what was fairly recently a single species in many cases; deciding when different populations are different enough to merit species status is more a judgement call than an exact science. Years ago it used to be fairly common to see populations identified as subspecies or races, but that almost never seems to be the case with fish now.

The single picture of cirrhosus in the CateLog is a dead ringer for some of my juvenile "common" bristlenoses (previously Ancistrus sp.3), but common bristlenoses colleagues of my local society have posted photos of seem to show a fair degree of variation, especially with mature males.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Carp37: You may want to read the article by Ingo Seidel: http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/sh ... cle_id=377

This is what caused Jools to change the name of what was formerly called Ancistrus sp(3) to A. cf cirrhosus.

--
Mats
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

Thanks Mats- I had seen that (this lunchtime), and it looks like a "definite maybe" as an id for common bristlenose, although whether we'll ever be sure enough to drop the "cf" is open to question. It would be nice to see more pictures of the presumed true cirrhosus from Ingo, as they grow if Ingo's wild stock mentioned in the article are all the same age. The locality being Argentina may well be the reason they've not been reimported (at least not regularly) in modern times.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
ranmasan
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Post by ranmasan »

Many thanks everyone! I'll tentatively classify my female as A. 'Columbia' since she most resembles the pic in the Cat-eLog. :thumbsup:
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I'll tentatively classify my female as A. 'Columbia' since she most resembles the pic in the Cat-eLog.
Unless you are 100% sure the fish is wild-caught and from Colombia, there is little justification in regarding the fish as A. sp. "Columbia" in my opinion.

The common bristlenose is quite variable with regard to spot size, so this character shouldn't be relied upon.

Like Mike, I have never seen imports of this Ancistrus from Colombia.

:D
ranmasan

Post by ranmasan »

Just reclassified as cirrhosus since some of the patterning towards her tail has indeed become slightly larger, but the rest of her spots/features remain the same. Thanks everyone!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”