Weird acting Pleco?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Violence
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Montreal,Quebec
Location 2: Montreal, Canada
Interests: Body Modification (tattoos, piercings...), Music (Chuck Berry, Jerry Lewis, Old Rock...), Reptiles, My newly discovered passion; FISH, Animals in general, Medicine.

Weird acting Pleco?

Post by Violence »

Wow I've been posting like a mad woman. I've been busy the last week or so and I was upgraidng my tank.

My Albino Pterygoplichthys pardalis (that was hard to type) and my two other Pleco's (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps and Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) have been acting weird, but mostly the Albino one.

I upgraded my tank, slowly adding branches, hiding shopts and rocks. I also got a new air pump, my other bubbler blew up (it was this round thing you put under your gravel and it makes current and some bubbles blew up when I took it out of the water) so I got a Whisper air pump with a wall of air stones taking up half of my aquarium and I added two smaller airstones on the other side of the aquarium.

Since I did this, my Albino has been WILD, I barely ever saw him, now he's all over the place, espacially behing/in the wall air stones and he's been swimming around a lot. My two other Pleco's have been coming otu too, but not as much as that one. Usually he's VERY nocturnal, but now, in daylight and with the lamps on he's all over the place! The other fish don't bother him, he's got enough food (Salad, Spinach, Zuccini, Cucumber, Cooked skinless peas, Apples, Grapes, Algae waffers, Blood worms and brime-shrimp).

The water parameters are very good, stable PH of 7.4, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites...

Is this normal "happy Pleco" behaviour or am I just paranoid?

Anyways, it was a great occasion to snap some pics of the Pleco's!

(Direct link: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t17/ ... ails26.jpg and http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t17/ ... ails27.jpg )

(Direct link: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t17/ ... qua218.jpg )

VIOLENCE- Keine Liebe.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: Weird acting pl*co?

Post by Martin S »

If the surroundings are more 'comfortable' for the fish, then you should see more of them. It's not weird behaviour, just them becoming more settled.
HTH
Martin
NewFishKeeper
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Warwick, England
Interests: Pc stuff and fish!

Post by NewFishKeeper »

Violence your pl*cs have been to hell and back quite literally! They will take some time to adjust to anything new you add to the tank be patient with them.

your doing a great job!
Violence
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Montreal,Quebec
Location 2: Montreal, Canada
Interests: Body Modification (tattoos, piercings...), Music (Chuck Berry, Jerry Lewis, Old Rock...), Reptiles, My newly discovered passion; FISH, Animals in general, Medicine.

Post by Violence »

Yey!! I was getitng all paranoid. I sat down infront of the tank for two hours munchin on chips and to monitor the behaviour, and each time something was different I panicked.

I'm so happy they're happy yey!
VIOLENCE- Keine Liebe.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”