Would it be safe to...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
RickieH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 1: Franksville WI, USA
Location 2: Racine County
Interests: Breeding cichlids,conversation,reading,bicycling when its warm,watching birds...

Would it be safe to...

Post by RickieH »

I currently have a 10 inch long TL Sperata Aor in a 125 gallon, 6 foot long tank. Do you know if it would be safe to put a 4 inch TL Parachromis Dovii in there or would the Dovii cichlid be likely to get eaten :?:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Would it be safe to...

Post by MatsP »

In the long term, that fish should, kept under correct conditions, reach a length around the same as your 125g tank - I don't think it's a fish that is suitable to keep in captivity unless you have serious plans to build an suitably heated (indoor?) pond the size of a large swimming pool (12 x 24 x 8 feet or bigger).

--
Mats
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

dovii is a real bad choice

it's a nasty and agressieve catfishkiller and if it doesn't get eaten it will make life hell for the catfish

you want to keep some other fish in there, go for the Gouramy (the big blue thing).
you need a bigger tank anyway and hence you could buy another juvenile biggie
Valar Morghulis
RickieH
Interests: Breeding cichlids,conversation,reading,bicycling when its warm,watching birds...

Post by RickieH »

I bought the Sperata at just under 4 inches as an African shovelnose and was told that it only grows to about 8 inches, its now 10 inches but is not yet aggressive to anything it can't eat. It currently gets along with a Synodontus Decorus and several cichlids. When it gets too big I will have to trade it in for credit at a lfs called Aquatics Unlimited out of Milwaukee WI.

Any catfish that can be kept with dovii?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

not that I know of and I know
eh
a fair number of both catfish and cichlids

friend of mine has dovii with catfishes, but we're talking about a HUGE tank and adult Leiarius and adult Pterygoplichthys, cats well beyond the 40-50cm/16-20" mark.
Valar Morghulis
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

And this does not say all catfishes manage to survive - in a 1500 l or more tank
cats have whiskers
RickieH

Post by RickieH »

Thanks guys,
Guanlong_wucaii
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Singapore!
Location 2: Singapore City, Singapore
Interests: Drawing...

Post by Guanlong_wucaii »

RickieH wrote:I bought the Sperata at just under 4 inches as an African shovelnose and was told that it only grows to about 8 inches, its now 10 inches but is not yet aggressive to anything it can't eat. It currently gets along with a Synodontus Decorus and several c*****ds. When it gets too big I will have to trade it in for credit at a lfs called Aquatics Unlimited out of Milwaukee WI.

Any catfish that can be kept with dovii?
The Asian RedTailed catfish?... just joking. Any big catfish that has its own ub0rz p0w3rz (can defend itself) could be kept with it. Would a big Suckermouth fit? :?
I have a Horabagrus Brachysoma called Killer. :D

Code: Select all

Lol. Lol. LOOOOOOL.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”