Plecos 5 footer

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
kingtiger
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Australia

Plecos 5 footer

Post by kingtiger »

My Geo's and Plecos 5 foot tank. I'm trying to get more driftwood that looks like branches but they are not cheap in OZ. :evil:

Cheers
KingTiger
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: pl*cos 5 footer

Post by MatsP »

You can use most kinds of wood, for example apple or cherry wood, in a tank. It may take a while to make them sink, but they are "free" if you know someone who is trimming a suitable tree.

--
Mats
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

or you could fish an old piece of wood out of a stream or billabong, but you have to cook it to desinfect it :wink:
Valar Morghulis
slakey
Location 2: Norwich

Post by slakey »

good place for wood... ebay.co.uk or ebay.com :)

But it does look really nice now (Y)
jopbgon
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Costa Rica
Location 2: Heredia
Interests: plecos

Post by jopbgon »

Looks really nice :D , what kind of pl*cos you have in there?
kingtiger
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Australia

Post by kingtiger »

I've got few 3x L204s, 3x L002s & 2x L260s. Can't afford to get more at the moment.... :oops:

Thank for the advice ppl but Ebay from UK probably will cost me an arm and a leg....I'll see if I can find apple or cherry trees near by.

Cheers
KingTiger
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

kingtiger wrote:I've got few 3x L204s, 3x L002s & 2x L260s. Can't afford to get more at the moment.... :oops:

Thank for the advice ppl but Ebay from UK probably will cost me an arm and a leg....I'll see if I can find apple or cherry trees near by.

Cheers
KingTiger
I'm sure australia has Ebay too, or something similar if not under that particular name. And MOST trees would be OK for fish, so you don't have to find those particular tree types. Just avoid anything where the wood (before soaking in water) smells quite a bit. Fir, pine, cedar and such generally fall into the "smells" category, making those unsuitable. Aside from cherry and apple, I also have oak, willow, alder and mopani (shop-bought) wood in my tanks. As for European trees, I only know of Ash as an unsuitable wood for fish.

If you know what kind of wood it is, post a question, and I'm pretty sure someone will tell you if it's ok or not.

--
Mats
slakey
Location 2: Norwich

Post by slakey »

Here you go hope this helps: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REAL-DRIFTWOOD-4 ... dZViewItem

That is the australia ebay and just one of the bits of drift wood on there.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I've got few 3x L204s, 3x L002s & 2x L260s. Can't afford to get more at the moment....
be glad....with a group of Geophagus and 8 Loricariids looks to me that the floorspace is full

not overcrowded per se, but full nevertheless

or you might get a bigger tank :lol:
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Tank Talk”