Alternatives for an L204

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taz
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Winchester, UK

Alternatives for an L204

Post by Taz »

My L204 died the other week after about ten years living with us, which from searching sounds like an average lifespan for one. I am looking at replacing him some time soon and would like another wood eater like him, was wondering what the options are. The Catelog mentions them as part of a short lived mini genus of panaqolus, not sure if this was specific to wood eaters or just smaller panaques, but either way I can't see a way to search for them.

The tank is 120cm x 60cm x 45 cm, just over 300l in volume, with a fair amount of bogwood. ph around 7.5 to 8, water fairly hard (12" gh). Other tank members are a 13cm BN catfish, 25cm black ghost knife, 5x 5cm rainbow fish (will be adding some more in the near future) and 4x 5 cm Mollies.

What other wood eaters can you recommend for me?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Alternatives for an L204

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Taz,
I think it is hard to beat a L204 for a small Panaque species in both looks and personality.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

You can search for "small" Panaque species by going to http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search.php
Then select Loricariidae for family, and Panaque for genus.
Then select a max size (in your case, perhaps 150mm (or 6" if you prefer).
Since there are still some species of "unknown" size in the Cat-eLog, select 1 as "minimum" size.
And you may want to enter the tank temperature as min&max (make both the same unless you plan to have great variation in temp).

If you select "Sort by Hits", you get the most common at the top of the list.

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

The Catelog mentions them as part of a short lived mini genus of panaqolus, not sure if this was specific to wood eaters or just smaller panaques,
The genus Panaqolus was for the members of the Panaque dentex species group - i.e. the dwarf . There was not found to be significant enough of a difference between them and the large Panaque, other than size (which can be considered arbitrary), so the genus was synonymised.

All Panaque are wood eaters, but there are also other wood eaters in the Hypostomus cochliodon species group.

The most likely dwarf Panaque species you are to find in the shops are the following:

Others are occasionally available, but you would have to be very fortunate to find them.

:D
Taz
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Winchester, UK

Post by Taz »

Thanks for the replies, will see what Maidenhead Aquatics can get in.

Taz

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”