Swollen Striped Raphael

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
paddy'n'max
Location 1: United Kingdom

Swollen Striped Raphael

Post by paddy'n'max »

Hi, just started out this weekend after running in my new 60l tank. We've got two striped raphaels and one of them seems to have quite a bloated stomach. They were last fed about 12 hours ago.

Is this normal or something I should be worried about?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your fish sounds like it's suffering from fluid accumulation (commonly known as dropsy). You can read this thread for details, but it sounds like there's nothing you can do for it besides euthanizing the fish.
paddy'n'max

Post by paddy'n'max »

Thanks for your reply, Ive followed the thread you suggested. I've got to admit that I'm a little worried but I don't think it's quite as bad as the photos posted by polkadot. I'm going to keep an eye on it for the rest of the evening (it seems to have gone down a small amount since first posting), avoid feeding them tonight and call in at the Aquatic centre tomorrow as they are only round the corner from me. I'm desperately hoping that it's newbies nerves (first time I ever admitted to that! :wink: ) and everyone will be happy.

I'll let you know how I get on...

paddy'n'max thank Silurus.
kurtz
Location 1: southern california
Interests: doradids

Post by kurtz »

i had a raphael that was a pig and he would eat till his stomach bloated but it would always go down eventually i would ease off on the food a bit. but i have to say if you just started your tank this weekend and then put 2 raphaels in with out letting your tank cycle then your fish probably do have problems. hope this helps
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Raphaels are known pigs and will quite often over eat, Just ease off on feading and try feading less.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
paddy'n'max

Post by paddy'n'max »

Thanks everyone!

Have checked the little guys out this morning and they seem fine, held off feeding them lastnight and will ease them back into it tonight maybe.

I've been running the tank in for well over a week and I got the Aquatic Centre to run a battery of tests on the water before populating the tank, they said the water was perfect. I'll keep an eye on them both but it seems that it's a case of newbie nerves!! :D
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

The tank may not be cycled properly (1 week) if there were no fish in the tank then of course the water would show no toxins on a tester, as soon as you add fish then youâ??re cycle begins.
Even if you have used one of the many new tank treatments I would still watch that water for Ammonia and Nitrite.
Pectorale
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

Is it possible Agamyxis might gorge themselves on fruit and veggies in the wild, just before they migrate upstream. I'm not sure on this, but I've noticed increased appetite in the fall, especially when feeding peas and such, afterwards they'll get a bit restless and swim in the current as if they want to go somewhere.This can last for two or three weeks. I've seen Pterodoras granulosus do the same, with a belly the size of a tennisball. So maybe it's a natural thing.

Pectorale
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”