Amphibious Ancistrus w/ pics.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Didgeridoo
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canada eh!
Interests: Cichlids and Catfish

Amphibious Ancistrus w/ pics.

Post by Didgeridoo »

I was walking by my tank and the room was pitch black and I heard splashing. I thought maybe a fish was trying to jump out so I flicked the light on. Didn't see any fish and then I heard it again coming from my filter! I looked and sure enough, there was a female Ancistrus sitting in the current of a HOB filter. I ran downstairs grabbed my camera and hoped it'd hang on. I managed to snapped two shots before it zipped back into the tank. This filter has a lid over the output so nothing can jump out unlike the Aquaclears. The filter used to have a bio-wheel but I took it off.

What're your fishes doing at night? =P

andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Re: Amphibious Ancistrus w/ pics.

Post by andywoolloo »

oh my gosh!! smart little girl climbing to get some algae probably? Wow what if they climb in?? holy cow! :(
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Cool photos!

I can tell you what my pearl danios are doing at night - jumping out of the tank!!! :(
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Didgeridoo
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canada eh!
Interests: Cichlids and Catfish

Post by Didgeridoo »

Haha, yea danios are fun to contain. When they spawn it's like rapid fire jumping out.

There's no media in the filter except a couple bags of biomax so I'm not overly concerned if they get in. Just have to make sure they can get out. =P I'll have to check it regularly.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

My baby Ancistrus climb inside the internal power filter- I used to put a micromesh piece of angling keep-net over the filter to keep them out, but I've given up even trying as most of them seem to come to no harm. Changing the filter seems to have stopped all bar a couple of intrepid ones- with the Fluval 3+ there were often over 30 of them in the filter when I took it out for maintenance...
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”