Help my Rapheals lost one of its barbels

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Corylover
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Florida
Location 2: Miami

Help my Rapheals lost one of its barbels

Post by Corylover »

I have a 10g tank with 2 rapheal catfish and 2 corys, and I noticed that one of my wild rapheal talking catfish has lost one of its barbels in the front, I don't how it happened. Maybe she got into a fight with the other raph or squeezed into some space she and had a hard time getting out. I don't have any pics, but I'm concerned about her and wonder will she have any problems and if it will grow back. Does any one have any ideas on how to help her.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Help my Rapheals lost one of its barbels

Post by MatsP »

I would check the water conditions. If they are OK, then I wouldn't worry too much (although if they are getting scared/chased and hurt on some sharp rocks or such, you may want to do something about that - either rounding the edges somehow, or removing those rocks).

Barbels that do not get continually damaged will grow back.

--
Mats
Corylover

Post by Corylover »

I checked the water conditions and everything is fine. Yesterday I raised up the diftwood in their tank to give her more space to move around and to prevent her from bumping into it. Cause that is the only thing that's big and rough in the tank. The substrate is mostly sand with a few smooth river rocks. She's an 8 yr old fish and doesn't move around that often(except to redecorate the tank on occassion), and none of her tankmates harass her. So she must have bumped in to the diftwood trying to burrow under it. However after all of that I found her this evening wedged in space where I raised the driftwood. I guess I have to buy some more plants or change the lighting in the tank so she can heal. Is there any medications that can help her recovery and prevent infection?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

A ten gallon tank is way too small for an eight year old Raphael Cat by itself let alone including the other fish. You almost certainly have some water quality issues that can only be corrected by placing it in a suitably large tank. I would not use anything smaller than a 29H for your collection and be sure to have a good filter system.

Catfish barbels have a limited ability to regenerate. They can lose a little and regenerate but if half or more is missing then complete regeneration is not likely.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Corylover

Post by Corylover »

Sorry to be a bubblehead but what's a 29H tank in gallons. And where can I get one from.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

29 is the volume in gallos, H is for "high", meaning that it's a taller than usual configurations, generally meaning that it's noticably higher than it is "wide" (back to front size). Aside from "normal" tanks (which are roughly the same width and height) there are also "long" or "breeder" tanks, these are usually lower in height, and wider/longer than the same volume "normal" tank.

From what I can tell, there is only one 29 gallon tank-shape, and that is a 30 x 12 x 18 inches (Length x Width x Height).

--
Mats
Corylover

Post by Corylover »

Thanks will look for one online. :D
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Corylover wrote:Thanks will look for one online. :D
If you like, but I'm pretty sure that the any local shop would have one (or something similar - it doesn't HAVE to be exactly a 29H - just something in that sort of size-range). I expect any gain in prices online would pretty much be "eaten" by the fact that tanks are fairly large and fragile, so cost of shipping will be pretty steep.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”