seeking Synodontis aterrimus info

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Hi,
I saw a couple of these cats in a lfs near me and I was wondering if they are an "easy" catfish to keep. I had a look in the cat-a-log but all that was in there was a couple of pictures. Would they mix well with south american catfish, primarily dorads?
I'd appreciate any advice/info on these guys, they look pretty cute.

thanks in advance.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Are you sure those aren't <i>S. eupterus</i>? Young <i>S. eupterus</i> have a reticulate pattern that looks somewhat similar.
Andy
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

seekin Synodontis aterrimus info

Post by Andy »

Maybe they were S. eupterus, I don't have al that much experience with catfish yet and S. aterrimus was the name given at the lfs. All the owner of the store could tell me about them was that they might possibly grow to about 10 cm.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

If they look like the pics of <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog, I'd say they are most likely juvenile <i>S. eupterus</i> (which is what the pics labelled as <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog are), which grows to about 20cm.
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

I think the only real way to tell is when they get to about 2-3 inches in size they will have started losing the network patern and the dorsal fin will start to get a lot taller.

There are several other Synos that look like that at a young age.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Andy, maybe you can get some pics of them?
Georg
Andy

Post by Andy »

I might be able to borrow my brother's camera but i wouldn't get my hopes up on getting a decent picture of them.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I had another look at the catfish in the lfs and my earlier thoughts were a bit of I think, the catfish labelled as S. aterrimus actually look exactly like the juvenile S. eupterus in the cat-a-log. The lfs employees are totally sure that they are S. aterrimus though. They've even claimed that the S. eupterus that they do have won't grow past 10 cm. I'm not quite sure what to believe. One of the employees there seem to be a catfish fanatic as he orders quite a lot of catfish as opposed to the other lfs in town but he's the one who told me how big (small) their S. eupterus grows to.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

I would say that you should belive Silurus.
Georg
Andy

Post by Andy »

shall do so

thanks
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:If they look like the pics of <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog, I'd say they are most likely juvenile <i>S. eupterus</i> (which is what the pics labelled as <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog are), which grows to about 20cm.
I've been meaning to weigh in on this one for a while but I have some seen some adult fish (around 10-12 cm) which have the same marking and shape as <I>S. atterimus</I>. They have not changed to spots as would happen in S. eupterus. The owner of these fish Andy is mostly offline and accesses the forum from a local library. A friend in a local lfs (also Andy) has taken some pictures of them bit I am waiting on them being emailed to me.

Jools
ggdhazel
Location 1: Ft. Wayne, IN
Interests: Aquariums, Gardening, herps

Post by ggdhazel »

I'll have to borrow my mother's digital camera and get a pic of mine. Mine was sent to me by a distributor as an angelicus. He lacks any spots at all and has the same pattern as the ones shown in the cat-e-log. He is about 6-8 cm now and still maintains the pattern and his dorsal is much larger than any of my other angelicus. If he is an angelicus hes missing all his spots but his pattern is really cool. I'll see if I can get a picture up this weekend.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I couldn't get a picture of the fishies, by the time I got ahold of a camera someone bought the lot of them.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Jools wrote:
Silurus wrote:If they look like the pics of <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog, I'd say they are most likely juvenile <i>S. eupterus</i> (which is what the pics labelled as <i>S. aterrimus</i> in the Cat-eLog are), which grows to about 20cm.
I've been meaning to weigh in on this one for a while but I have some seen some adult fish (around 10-12 cm) which have the same marking and shape as <I>S. atterimus</I>. They have not changed to spots as would happen in S. eupterus. The owner of these fish Andy is mostly offline and accesses the forum from a local library. A friend in a local <acronym title="Local Fish Store">LFS</acronym> (also Andy) has taken some pictures of them bit I am waiting on them being emailed to me.

Jools
These are now online here - http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/mo ... 1121_f.php .

Jools
Last edited by Jools on 17 Jan 2004, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Yup, I think Jools is right. We bought a fish that looked just like this fish because it was labeled as "S.ornatipinnis", and I was afraid that if we didn't "snap it up" it might be gone. Even then, I really had my doubts about the purported ID. A week later we received the Cat Chat issue where this fish is "exposed". Fortunately, we were able to return the fish.

Dinyar

in Japan
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Mine also was sold as S. ornatipinnis. I didn't think it was, but I bought it anyway.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “African Catfishes”