Powerhead location

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jopbgon
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Costa Rica
Location 2: Heredia
Interests: plecos

Powerhead location

Post by jopbgon »

I have been wandering where's better to locate powerheads in the aquarium, I have a couple of them in my 120 g tank(home of 3 L-128), they are located at the top of the tank in oposittes sides(one at left and one at right)but today I read at the catelog that the current should focus in the caves where the pl*co live ,where's better to put them? in the bottom, middle or the top of the tank??
alpine
Location 1: lexington, Ky

Re: Powerhead location

Post by alpine »

Waiting for the answers to your question and maybe add how many units they would recommend .

Roberto.
alpine

Post by alpine »

Anyone ?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I attach a large sponge filter to each of my power heads. It always seems to be a shame not to get filtration from the power head since I use them for currents anyway and often lay them on their sides so the current is mainly concentrated on the bottom. When I want the high flow but less current I either point the outlet towards the surface or direct it to a corner to diffuse the directionality of the flows. It all depends on the fish. I use the the outlet pointed toward the corners in my discus tanks. Most of my tanks have two sponge filters; one air driven and the other fitted with a power head. I use the Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter #6, a pedestal design sponge filter and MaxiJet 600 power heads on all my tanks from the 20 gal long to 40 gallon breeder style aquariums. In addition to these filters I usually also have one air stone. If I don't use an air stone then I may pump air to the venturi inlet of the power head.
For riverine fish I aim to set up directional flows. For fish from more of a still water environment I go for a deflected flow that does not set up any directional flow.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
alpine

Post by alpine »

Larry, thanks for the reply . I have been trying to see if I have enough circulation and areation in the 40 gallon breeder I am setting up for plecos.
Again thanks,
Roberto

Return to “Tank Talk”