Where do I buy C. Hastatus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thelivelylady
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Jacksonville, FL
Location 2: Jacksonville, FL
Interests: I love to quilt, read and play with all my fish. And of course I am owned by a Japanese Bobtail cat who believes, and rightly so, that she is the Queen.

Where do I buy C. Hastatus?

Post by thelivelylady »

Hi,
I have a 20 long with 7 pandas and 3 trilinetus. I would love to add some of the hastatus (dwarf, with black diamond on tail) but I have no idea where to get them. At the present time we live in Jacksonville, FL. If anyone knows where I can buy them, either within driving distance or by reputable mail order, please let me know. :?
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: Where do I buy C. Hastatus?

Post by Mike_Noren »

For to me unknown reasons C. hastatus appear to have become extremely rare in the trade (it's allegedly still common in it's native range, the Rio Paraguay basin). They do still occasionally show up, but extremely rarely - I have not seen any for sale for several years.
In short, it may prove difficult to find any C. hastatus for sale in your immediate surroundings.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Hastatus appear in the UK from time to time but (hand-on-heart) i couldn't honestly say when the last time i saw them was - probably about November in an aquatic section of a garden centre near Redditch.

Mike_Noren is correct though in that they are not nearly as common as they used to be, say 10 years ago.

You could see who keeps them from the "my cats" feature to see if anyone near you has them or wait & see if anyone posts with some tip-off.

I hope you get some, - they were my favourite "big shoal" cory swimming in midwater like an olympic synchronised team!!!
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I've twice in the past 3 months seen fish labelled as hastatus in the UK, but both times they've been pygmaeus (most recently at Wharf Aquatics who are normally pretty good at fish I.D.); I'm not sure I've ever seen true hastatus, although I'd love to have some. Thus, even if an LFS has on-line stock lists I wouldn't trust them with the dwarf Corydoras species.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Carp37 - if you are after some i'll keep my eyes open & let you know if i see any (genuine ones) or you could ask Ian (Coryman) if he is aware where you could get some.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

C. hastatus are occasionally available from these two places. You will have to be patient. All other vendors sell C. pygmeus as C. hastatus.
http://www.anubiasdesign@yahoo.com
http://www.corysrus.com
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
thelivelylady
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Jacksonville, FL
Location 2: Jacksonville, FL
Interests: I love to quilt, read and play with all my fish. And of course I am owned by a Japanese Bobtail cat who believes, and rightly so, that she is the Queen.

Post by thelivelylady »

apistomaster wrote:C. hastatus are occasionally available from these two places. You will have to be patient. All other vendors sell C. pygmeus as C. hastatus.
http://www.anubiasdesign@yahoo.com
Thanks so much for the reply. I looked at the anubiasdesign web sight and discovered that they are even going to be here in Jacksonville in June. I have put it on my calendar and I will continue to check with both places til they get some in.
Thanks again!
Tracy "The Lively Lady" :D

[Mod edit: uncheck "Disable BBCode" for this post --Mats]

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”