Quick! Need advise on internal parasites

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Quick! Need advise on internal parasites

Post by König Löwe »

Today i found one of my LDA-33 dead with a very bloated stomach, and my Parancistrus auranticaus seems to have the same problem. My regular Ancistrus allso seems to have the problem. What should i do? What kind of drug can i use? Bear in mind that the only aquarium type fish-drugs i get around here are the ones produced by Tetra.

Please help!
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

u sure its bloat? wat type of foods have u been feeding them?

Try to raise the temp to 32c to make there digestion faster, stop feeding them for a while, and as for me, I use chloromycetin, this is a drug for people, and this is very effective in my experience :)
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
König Löwe
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I feel very sure they have som parastie. I've had the LDA-33 for more than six months, without much change in feeding habits.

What is chloromycetin for? digestion or parasites? Where can i buy it? How much does it cost?
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

CHLORAMPHENICOL-also known as chloromycetin, enicol, levomycetin, sintomycin, chlorocid, detreomycin, paraxin, chloronitrin, kemicetine, mychel, amphicol, farmetitina, tevocin, intramycetin, synthomycin and kamycetin. A broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is active against a wide spectrum of gram-negative and gram-positive organisms such as Escherichia coli, Moraxella lacunata, staphylococci including S. aureus, streptococci including S. pneumoniae and S. hemolyticus, Proteus, Neisseria, and Klebsiella/Enterobacter spp. In vitro, chloramphenicol is active against the lymphogranuloma psittacosis group and Vibrio cholerae. Susceptible are several anaerobes, such as Bacteroides fragilis, as well as Rickettsia and Chlamydia spp. Of special note is the efficacy against many Salmonella including S. typhi, Hemophilus influenzae and the resistance of most strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

thnx for the info :) delbod

dude just try to water change every other day, find antibiotics from ur local lfs about internal paracites. Raise ur temp.. try to find my med, from local drugstores.. And hope that ur plecs will do fine :) gudluck!
DeLBoD

Post by DeLBoD »

König Löwe. You said Tetra was the only avalable medication where you are, try looking for Anti-Parasite Medicated flakes, apparently there very good for internal bacteria problems .

Good Luck.
König Löwe

Post by König Löwe »

No chance of me getting hold of that medicated food, the mostly sell the staple food here.

So is it safe to use this Chloramphenicol? What dosages should i use?
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

i use 3 500mg in a 200liter tank.. :)
DeLBoD

Post by DeLBoD »

Just a thought ,is Chloramphenicol going to knock the Bio filters out ?.
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

im not sure cuz im more on mechanical filtration rather than biological... I tend to change the filter media every week rather than wash them. Im talking bout the white cotton like media in the overhead filter. But i was my sponges with old water so that the old bacteria wont be gone
König Löwe

Post by König Löwe »

When i got home from school yesterday, the Parancistrus aurantiacus was dead. :(
DeLBoD

Post by DeLBoD »

Sorry to hear that .. :(
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

sorry to hear that my friend.. This willl serve as an experience to u.. Sheer up and gudluck next tym on :wink:
edward
Location 1: london

Post by edward »

all

Thought I may add a footnote to this thread. It seems one of the few occasions when my proffesional knowledge will be of use with fish keeping.

The situation in the UK is that chloramphenicol (the generic name; it is available as a number of trade names) is only available with a doctor (or vetinary) prescription. I should imagine that this situation is simular within the European economic area, and possibly in the US.

In the UK chloramphenicol is seen mostly as eye drops at 0.5% w/v strength, although I am not sure of its utility with fish as the formulation contains lots of other products such as preservatives etc.

capsules and injections are also available, but again hardly appropriate as a dosage form for fish!!!

You would probably need to visit the vet to gain access to this kind of meds in the UK.

hope this is of some help
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

When did you add the most recent addition to the tank? That sounds very much like a problem that I had with a shipment of fish I received a year ago. I lost fish in4 different tanks before I realized how big of a problem it was. I hadn't ordered any plecos, so none of the new fish died, but I lost some I was very attached to in other tanks, just from contamination with the python.

The only fish I successfully treated for it, weren't bloated yet, just off their feed, and I used flagyl (metronidizole) at a strength of 400mg/10 US gallons, added after a daily 50% water change, with water at a temperature of 86 F. or above for the fish that could tolerate it. I treated for 5 days, then 3 days off treatment, then another 5 days, if the fish didn't start eating well. Juvenile S. petricola also can be susceptible to it, from what I've seen, and heard from fellow aquarists.

I haven't had access to a vet that could do a post mortem for me, but if I encounter the problem again, I'm definitely going to try that. I'm not actually sure if the problem is protozoal, or bacterial, and the flagyl will require a prescription from a vet, or even from your family doctor, if you are on good terms.

Chloramphenicol used to be fairly easy to obtain from vets in the US, but in the last 10 years or so, it's been mostly phased out. I worked as a vet tech for a clinic that still had some, but the vets that worked there never prescribed any in the time I worked there. You'll definitely need a prescription to get your hands on any, if you can find it.

Sorry this information is so late in the thread. :(

Barbie
König Löwe

Post by König Löwe »

The now dead Parancistrus was my latest addition, apx. three weeks ago.
TKP

Post by TKP »

It is too bad to hear that your Parancistrus aurantiacus was dead :( . if next time your fishs have the same problem, you can try waterlife---Octozin.
L.Z
Location 1: Taiwan

Post by L.Z »

England's waterlife---Octozin is good drugs.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”