My Fish Room + L46 Setup (Update Pics @ 29/Jan)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
awth
Location 1: Hong Kong

My Fish Room + L46 Setup (Update Pics @ 29/Jan)

Post by awth »

Hi all, I am from Hong Kong and would like to show you guys my fish room! Shame that spaces in Hong Kong is pricy , to you guys, this may only be a joke! But what the hack, let's have a look at what a fish room would look like in Hong Kong!

I am a South American Dwarf Cichild enthusiast, who also keep Crystal Red Shrimp and Goldfish (Ranchu). Recently, I got myself "poisoned" in L46 and have just setup a tank for breeding purpose. However, source for L46 in Hong Kong is rather rare, I am still haven't get my hand on any. :oops: I would highly appreicate for any comments on my setup for improvement.

View at door:

Front View: 2Sets: 28"L X 18"W X 49"H

Just to show you guy some close up of some of the tanks:

I. Adoketa tank: 25"L X 18"W X 14"H

Crystal Red Shrimp tank: 25"L X 18"W X 14"H

Newly setup L46 breeding tank: 25"L X 14"W X 14"H
Filter: Eheim 2211 + Totto + Eheim Aquaball Powerhead 650L/H
I would highly appreicated for any comments for improvement.

Gravel: Seachem Flourite, do you think they are too sharp?
Last edited by awth on 29 Jan 2008, 03:09, edited 2 times in total.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

personaly, I use sand in all my tanks, not gravel. I do think they are very sharp, perhaps too sharp
awth

Post by awth »

Bas Pels wrote:personaly, I use sand in all my tanks, not gravel. I do think they are very sharp, perhaps too sharp
Thank you Bas, I think so too and I will reconsider my choice of gravel. However, I do have 1 question, how do you keep the sand substrate clean? I assume a gravel-cleaner (or gravel-vaccum) is not applicable, since it will suck up both the sand the dirt, rite?
pLaurent1251
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Post by pLaurent1251 »

When I clean my sand, I give it a stir, then just hold the gravel vacuum about 1" above it to suck up debris. You will get some sand at first, but with practice it should be fine.:)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Nice fishroom, indeed.

Also, using sand as substrate doesn't allow as much "muck" to enter into the sand, compared to when you use gravel that has lots of small holes, where muck can slide into and "hide". Instead, the muck stays on the sand.

I saw a site where someone built a "sand-trap" from a bucket and a piece of hose - so when you empty the tank, instead of going straight into a drain, let the sand settle in the bucket. About half-way up, you have a "exit hose" for the water to leave the bucket. Just make sure this is a bigger hose than the one going from the aquarium, so that the water leaves the bucket faster than it comes in. But that's only if you really find it hard to deal with the sand.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I just crimp the siphon hose to suit the substrate. That way the finest sand can be hydrovacuumed without siphoning the sand out. Just control the flow.

The fluorite can be blended with sand to help prevent particles from sinking between the gravel. I have several setups which I have mixed sand and fluorite and they work out just fine. The plants will also do better in the mixed substrate than they will in straight fluorite.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
awth

Post by awth »

Alrite, after reading the comments from the Pros about the gravel that I am using, I think I am better off to use sand alone indeed. I think it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, as there is nothing in there now. :D

So, any comment regarding to the other setup? i.e. current, hiding caves positioning?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

As Matt suggested, siphoning the bottom of a tank, I use buckets. from the tank to the drain the sand settles, and I can decant the water (chemical term, meaning more or less carefully let the water go out, leaving the sand)

As I'm as lazy as possible (I'm proud of this habit), I found out that leaving dirty sand alone for a few months, the dirt disappears, I think it reacts with the air, resulting in gasses, which flow away. I do stirr the sand with some water, in vcase of anything sissolving, but I don't stirr the sand anymore :lol:
bslindgren
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by bslindgren »

pLaurent1251 wrote:When I clean my sand, I give it a stir, then just hold the gravel vacuum about 1" above it to suck up debris. You will get some sand at first, but with practice it should be fine.:)
I find that if you hold the vacuum at about 45 degree angle, the sand doesn't get sucked up at all. The front part of my vacuum tube is about 1.5 inches across, attached to a half inch PVC hose. That way I can actually stir the sand around without any problems (I do shut off my filters though). I use target pool filter sand, btw.

Your fish tank room is great - space may be cheaper here, but a fish tank room is just a pipe dream for some of us.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Many aquarists would be very happy to have your "small" fishroom. The tanks look great by the way!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
awth

Post by awth »

Thank you to all of you.

I have re-set up the tank with a fine gravel, they are fine like sand, and in black colour. I remember that I read something here, saying, "if you have a darker substrate, you will have more active fish".

Will take some pic soon. :D
pLaurent1251

Post by pLaurent1251 »

I find that if you hold the vacuum at about 45 degree angle, the sand doesn't get sucked up at all.
I just tried it, and that worked perfectly!

Thank you. :D

And awth, your tanks are very beautiful. You must work very hard on them.
reticulata
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Re: My Fish Room + L46 Setup

Post by reticulata »

Beautiful set up, gorgeous tanks.
Plecos
jopbgon
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Costa Rica
Location 2: Heredia
Interests: plecos

Post by jopbgon »

Waiting for the updates :wink:
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hey,

really nice looking tanks :). Very clean - well done.

Could you tell me, please what plant is on right side of Crystal Red Shrimp tank? It is beautiful.

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
awth

Post by awth »

worton[pl] wrote:Hey,

really nice looking tanks :). Very clean - well done.

Could you tell me, please what plant is on right side of Crystal Red Shrimp tank? It is beautiful.

Regards.
I am sorry, do you mean those in the foreground or the background?
awth

Post by awth »

jopbgon wrote:Waiting for the updates :wink:
There is no process in my L46 hunting project..... can't find them anywhere..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
cmstwc
Location 1: San Francisco, USA

Post by cmstwc »

Even though I never been in HK. But I believe your fish room is very nice and BIG! My friend told me a room like that in HK can be a bedroom for 3+ people. Anyway, very impress and keep up the work!
awth

Post by awth »

It has been like felt like a decade, since I set up my L46 breeding tank until I finally be able to find 5pcs. They are from 2 different sources, #1-4 are from LFS and sold to as wild caught, I thought I have 2 male and 2 female. #5 is a trade from my friend, which I thought is a female. However, after they are release to my tank and now I have a closer, they all look like FEMALE to me....

Please kindly let me know if I am correct, thank you very very much.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”