L155

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DragonRubyFire
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Port Alberni British Columbia Canada

L155

Post by DragonRubyFire »

:D Hello Everyone, How large does the L155 grow and does that include the over-all length of the tailfin :?: and has anyone heard of the Carachama Mama :?: I found this Pleco on the RiverWonders web site as L155A or is it just the same pleco :?:

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help :wink:
I Am A Dragon By Nature, But A Human By Circumstance.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. :D

L155 is . To my knowledge L155a is not an official L number. Exporters must be making up their own L numbers now :roll:

Perhaps is just not catchy enough, and L155a is :?:

Anyway, yes they do get that big, and probably bigger. Check out this picture of Myra Hindley here with an absolute whopper....

DragonRubyFire

Post by DragonRubyFire »

TY for the confirmation as I only have 120 gallon tank and this little beasty would ultimately suffer in time when it hits the limits of its growth in my tank and it will be awhile before I could afford a tank of suitable since these big guys. :wink:
DragonRubyFire

Post by DragonRubyFire »

OOOOPS Where are my manners :oops:

TY for the Welcome and I look forward to more topics here on PlanetCatfish. :D
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Carachama Mama
The local word for pleco combined with "Mama" is the common name for these spp throughout the Amazon. The idea being that, since they are the biggest sp found, all other plecos (Hypostomus, etc) are their babies.
Western science groups, distinguishes, and defines spp by their believed evolutionary history, which defines how we see and interpret the world around us. Other peoples throughout the world have very different ways of arranging the natural world with size often an important factor. The Yanomami place the freshwater dolphin, red tailed catfish, humans, jaguar and tapir in the same "family" as all are big. A red tail cat thus, in the traditional view, is more closely related to humans and jaguars than it is to say a pleco or doradid.
A herpetologist friend of mine did an ethno-taxonomic study with the Yanomami of turtles. There are 30 something turtle spp found where the Yanomami live. Guess what? They have two words for turtle, one translates as "big turtle" and another as "small turtle."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Carachama....The local word for pl*co
Shane, is carachama the Spanish word for pleco and cascudo the Portuguese word?

Or is it not that simple?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Unfortunately, not that easy. Just like in English common names change from region to region with language and/or country not having much of an impact. Thus a Brazilian in Tabatinga and a Colombian in Leticia would likely use the same word, while a Colombian in the llanos would use corroncho, and a Colombian in the Magdalena would say armadillo del rio.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”