Increasing oxygen

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Ben Moore
Location 1: Australia

Increasing oxygen

Post by Ben Moore »

Hello peoples,

I am very perdantic and tested my O2 levels which are 4.0mg/l im most of my tanks. This might seem strange but i wish to up the O2 to 6-8 mg/l whats the best way of doing it?

To give you an example I have a 240 litre tank with a top trickle filter, eheim 2217 with a air difuser and a 1200 LPH otoo internal filter with venturi and a small airstone.

You might be thinking well thats good enough but i would like to see the oxygen levels a bit higher at 29-30.c.

Is there something I could be doing to up it more? Or am i just being to perdantic?

I would love to hear lots of comments as it is a very important factor when keeping and breeding South American pl*co's

cheers
Ben
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Using a bigger air-stone may help quite a bit - because it moves water from the bottom of the tank up and across the surface.

Having the spraybar of the eheim break the surface will also help a bit.

At 29-30'C, the absolute maximum you can expect is 7.5 ppm O2 - that is the saturated level.

--
Mats
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

It's very important to have a fast water moving/exchange with bottom water and surface water, the heavier bioload you have the more important because the bacteria in your tank is what consume most oxygen...not the fishes. Low bacteria content and high water movement between top and bottom will increase your oxygen level to maximum saturated level at the specific temperature.

Janne
Landlubber
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: UK

Post by Landlubber »

There is a little device called a " Oxydator " which is a safe way of using Hydrogen Peroxide in aquaria to boost oxygen levels.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=313

If the test you used was accurate you have cause for concern. Your DO levels (4 mg/l)are on the verge of causing distress to most fishes. Levels that low would certainly distress fishes that need higher O2 levels.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Ben Moore
Location 1: Australia

Post by Ben Moore »

Here is a pic of one of my tanks.

I also have a 36 watt pond master UV on the outlet of the 2217. There is a heater in the tank but it has been turned off for almost 2 months now as I have a dozen tanks in a insulated garage.

fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

Great article Shane! Thanks for the link. There's SO much awesome info on PC...it's easy to miss the good stuff. :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”