Has anyone heard of or have breed L128 or L075 before?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
lealea
Location 1: Australia, Queensland
Interests: All Animals

Has anyone heard of or have breed L128 or L075 before?

Post by lealea »

Just wondering if anyone has heard of either of these being breed before in an aquarium? I am in Australia and it hasn't been done here from what people have told me. Thanks leanne
I love my L134's
fishlvr
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Georgia
Location 2: Atlanta, GA
Interests: Catfish, especially NA natives, other non-catfish natives, reptiles and amphibians.

Post by fishlvr »

Look in the Cat-eLog under L-numbers and go from there. I looked at it, and it had some info on breeding L075 but not L128.
Current cat collection: 0.0.2 Noturus miurus; 0.0.1 Ameiurus natalis; 0.0.3 Otocinclus hoppei; 0.0.2 Otocinclus sp. (unknown ATM)
On the way: 0.0.1 Noturus insignis
And definitely planning to expand. :D
lealea

Post by lealea »

Thanks done that I was hoping someone in person could say they have done it. As it has to be possible. leanne
I love my L134's
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

L75 is commercially bred in Chekkia. L128 has been chance bred once in a large public tank in Germany.
lealea

Post by lealea »

thanks looks like the challenge is on. I have to invest in a larger tank for one of my colonies but my L75 are already doing well in their new home and settling in well. I will post if things begin to occur. leanne
I love my L134's
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I dont know if L75 are bred comercial anywhere yet but seams to be much easier then L128, L75 are mature around 15 cm and if you have a nice group to pick from you will succeed with them. When mature just pick out the dominant male and a fat and nice female...breed them like other smaller plecos with a cave suited for their size.

Janne
lealea

Thank you

Post by lealea »

Thanks Janne. I have had no response from anyone in Aus regarding either of these two plecos and limited on here so looks like I have my work cut out for me But I have breed most other things I get my hands on here in Aus ( the limited supply we have) So I will give it ago. Any ideas or tips always welcome. Thanks in advance Lealea
I love my L134's
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

There are not really any other tips then you can read about other species like Hypancistrus or Peckoltia, one thing when it comes to little bigger plecos...not all couples like each other just like humans :wink:
So start with a group and when mature you will see how likes how and from there you pick your couple.

Janne
corydoras
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:18)
Spotted: 21
Location 1: Nottingham UK

Post by corydoras »

Hi

Amwell Aquatics advertised bred L128s for sale on Aquarist Classifieds in the UK the other day. Here's the advert

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/p ... _78067.php

http://www.amwellaquatics.co.uk

so it's possible someone in Europe is breeding them.

Cheers

Matt
lealea

thank you

Post by lealea »

Thanks matt that lead I have sent them to seperate messages so hope to heaqr from them and get confirmation that they have been breed in captivity and maybe even a further contact of the breeder so I can have a further chat. Fingers crossed.
I love my L134's
firenzenz
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: NZ

Post by firenzenz »

Hey Lealea

I've been growing up a colony of 8 L128's from juvis for 2 years now so I guess they're about 2 1/2 yrs old. I've only heard of the Berlin zoo breeding them in a 4000ltr Sth American tank a couple of years ago. They may well have done it a few times so explains recent captives for sale.
Out of eight seem to have 6M and 2F. Big male 13cms and big female much the same. Apparently the ones at berlin were about 14cm.
I have recently seperated the big and 2F into own tank but I think the cave I put in was not right, ( long plastic pipe). going to try bigger cave more like my friend uses for his big GBA.

Good Luck-wish I had some of your L134's!!!
AK-Wolfman
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Anchorage, AK
Interests: Plecostomus

Post by AK-Wolfman »

No info I could find on breeding L128. I've looked before and decided not to get them since I found nothing on it you can try looking at http://www.Plecofanatics.com and check out Plecopedia, HTH.
lealea

Thanks all

Post by lealea »

Each thread and post gets me a litlle closer to success. I have and am a regular on plecofanatics as It has a large Aussie following but no leads on L128 and L075 that is why I through it on here for a chance that someone ccould help me. The aquarium place in the UK never got back to me. I hope they do If there are any UK people that live near there love your help to find out more. thanks leanne
I love my L134's

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”