how to raise albino bristlenose fry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

how to raise albino bristlenose fry?

Post by alvin »

hi folks
ive had 2 spawnings from my albino bn and managed to keep the fry alive for a week. for some reason after this period some and then all of my fry turned white and died. i did 30% daily water changes and temperature was constant at 25degC. food was powdered food and algae wafers. can anyone tell me the reason for these deaths or what i am doing wrong?...help!!!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Hard to say, but I would suspect too much protein. These fish need lots of fibre in the diet, so boiled zucchini(corugette) is a good starter food. Mashed peas may also be good. Try to avoid "baby-fish-food", as it generally is too high in proteins, and not enough fibre.

--
Mats
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

Post by alvin »

tks for the prompt reply matsp
will heed ur advice with the next spawn. would the high protein explain the change in color though? ie losing their color before dying or is the change in color an indication that they are not feeding well??
tks again
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The loss of colour is probably related to an internal bacterial infection that in turn is related to the diet - but I'm not 100% sure.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”