Boy has it grown, time to confirm ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
courtnee
Location 1: South Dakota, USA

Boy has it grown, time to confirm ID

Post by courtnee »

Okay I tried to ID this catfish back on July 8th when I got him. He is growing like a weed! New pics and video.

Still think he is a spotted bullhead? I adore this fish. So much fun and beautiful! I just got him a 120gl tank to share with a common pleco for the rest of his life. Tons of room for him if he is a spotted bullhead and only look at a foot growth! He is in the 55gl and soon to the 120!

When i got him

Today

[IMG:640:512]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/ ... 42007a.jpg[/img]
[IMG:640:306]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/ ... 242007.jpg[/img][/img]
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It's certainly the right family, and it don't see anythign saying that it ISN'T a spotted bullhead. But I'm no expert on those, so I don't know for sure.

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

The location is completely off, but there have been a lot of introductions by fish and game officials over the years for sport. Where did you catch this beauty?
Amanda
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Although also has some spots, I'd go for , which is indeed the spotted bullhead.
courtnee

Post by courtnee »

bronzefry wrote:The location is completely off, but there have been a lot of introductions by fish and game officials over the years for sport. Where did you catch this beauty?
Amanda
I got him at my LFS, they found him in a order of ghost shrimp so the idea of him being from the south and getting in a batch of ghost shrimp is very reasonable.

He was tiny, they had no idea what he was and I bought him for $2, I was sure he was a type of bullhead and just crossed my fingers he wasnt a tank buster!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's a brown bullhead ().
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Silurus wrote:It's a brown bullhead ().
HH, I hardly ever doubt your knowledge, but in this case the A. nebulosus would not have been one of my options.
Could you give me/us a hint why this is not the spotted, but the brown bullhead?
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I do not see distinct black margins to the anal and caudal fins characteristic of the spotted bullhead. Also, the upper and lower jaws appear to be of equal length (the upper jaw would be longer than the lower in the spotted bullhead).
courtnee

Post by courtnee »

Silurus wrote:I do not see distinct black margins to the anal and caudal fins characteristic of the spotted bullhead. Also, the upper and lower jaws appear to be of equal length (the upper jaw would be longer than the lower in the spotted bullhead).
Hmm could it be he needs to grow a bit more to be sure? He is still only 3"

If he is a brown bullhead and can get to 19" that is okay, I will still keep him and care for him lol

What about the pattern though? Could he be a cross breed? I see where you are coming from on why you say what you do but the pattern on his body doesnt look like a brown bullhead.

I think his top jaw extends out more then the lower jaw myself looking at him.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

I think the best way to be sure is to take a decent picture of the anal fin (one that is clear enough to count the rays). The anal-fin ray counts should settle the question once and for all.
courtnee

Post by courtnee »

Silurus wrote:I think the best way to be sure is to take a decent picture of the anal fin (one that is clear enough to count the rays). The anal-fin ray counts should settle the question once and for all.
I will get to working on that :)
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Silurus, can you get into details?

just curious, mind; but i want to know; wich species has more anal fin rays and what number are we talking about?
Valar Morghulis
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

serracanthus: 19–23