Hypancistrus feeding black worms

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
crystalview56
Location 1: CA USA

Hypancistrus feeding black worms

Post by crystalview56 »

I have read not to give black worms to young Hypancistrus Zebra's for they choke. Does this happen to all young Hypancistrus sp or just smaller spieces of Hypancistrus or only Zebra's?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I wouldn't think it's limited to H. zebra - I don't see what would make then "special" in feeding criteria.

Really small fish will probably not be able to eat whole blackworms, that is correct. You can probably chop the worms, or avoid them until the fish are a bit bigger. I'd say avoid and use other small foods, daphnia and pulverized dry food for example.

--
Mats
Boots n all
Location 1: Melbourne Australia
Interests: My children and fish

Hmm

Post by Boots n all »

Wait a moment, black worms dont only come in one size :? , they do breed so there would have to be smaller ones in there some where?
l would also imagine these or very similar to black worm are found in thier river system.
crystalview56

Post by crystalview56 »

Lumbriculus variegatus or California Black worms are small sort of like Bloodworms but cleaner. I feed them to my African Dwarf frogs, even neon tetras and endlers eat them.
On other post at this forum and at Zebrapleco.com. They did not mention the type of worm. just said they choked on them. Did not see this mentioned for other small Hypancistrus Sp. just the Zebra's.
It sounds like your talking about a garden variety worm they would have to be cut for must fish. I was wanting to add a smaller Hypancistrus sp to my large tank but ADF's are messy eaters and some of their California get into the gravel. Don't want anyone choking.
Boots n all
Location 1: Melbourne Australia
Interests: My children and fish

worms

Post by Boots n all »

We have a tank with our Hyp. in 8 x 2 x 2, 9 zebs, 10 Contradens and young, there is gravel on the bottom of the tank and is a live with black worm is some sections, where they wave in the current eating any uneaten food, no sign of choking Hypan. young anywhere :D
crystalview56

Post by crystalview56 »

good to know Boots
reticulata
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Live Black Worms for Ancistrus

Post by reticulata »

I have heard both arguments and know of one breeder in Chicago who feeds his ancistrus live black worms big time. Also heard from others that their intestinal tract won't handle the live worms. My experience was that when I first "discovered" black worms I got carried away and fed them to all my fish almost everyday. Needless to say after a couple of weeks I lost an abnormal amount of plecos. My corys, angels and apistos thrived on them with no losses. So now I only feed my various plecos frozen bloodworms maybe three times a week and they seem to do fine even my veggie plecos.
crystalview56

Post by crystalview56 »

My BN loves them so do the Oto's, ADF, and every other fish. When I do get the Pleco I am looking for I think I will will hold off. It is one of those debatable questions
Thanks for you input!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”