Trying to decide which one

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
crystalview56
Location 1: CA USA

Trying to decide which one

Post by crystalview56 »

I just found out my husband really likes our small Albino BN. I wanted to get a white with black sucker fish but most of the ones I have seen are shy. Is this so with all? Hubby really likes the sucker mouth the best.
I wanted something under 5". I know Dream fish :roll: but I thought I would ask anyway. I want one that isn't so poopy as wood eaters.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

There are plenty of colourful, small, Loricariidae:
Here is a list of the most popular ones that are between 3" and 5" in size - you can make your own search with more specifics (e.g. specify the temperature you want, which river, etc, etc) here:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search.php

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

A sp. is your best bet, as these are small, colourful and don't poop too much.

They hide a bit at first, but once they settle down (after a month or two) they aren't shy.

Give them a dimly lit tank with LOTS of driftwood/rock hiding places and you will see them come out much more often, as they feel more secure.

They like warm (27C+), well oxygenated water and meaty food like cockle and bloodworm.

:D
crystalview56
Location 1: CA USA

Post by crystalview56 »

Thanks that will reduce the amount I need to read up on. Off to study up................
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I would like to add to the list. They are more omnivores (eat both veggie and meaty stuff) - they are mainly coloured in brown colours, but have a range of patterns. Easy to keep in my experience - although if you have more than one, make sure both get enough food, they can be a bit territorial with regards to feeding sites.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”