Pale, pale ABN

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
user3000
Location 1: Chicago

Pale, pale ABN

Post by user3000 »

I have a number of ABN under a year old that gradually get pale eventually turn white then die. They get uninterested in eating and occasionally get red spots on the fins. Their diet consists of Omega One kelp discs, Wardley's Shrimp pellets, Fresh Zuchini & cucumber. Water changes are done weekly (50%). 30 gallon tank with sponge filter and powerhead running it. Temp is at 80 degrees.

Any thoughts?
Daragh
My cats species list: 66 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Dublin, Ireland
Interests: Photography and Fishkeeping (mainly cats, particularly Corys)

Post by Daragh »

How long from the time they start to pale until they die? Does one fish get sick die and then another or are a few sick together?

I also think the temp is too high for BNs, they usually prefer cooler water, I keep mine at 70-72, but don't drop it suddenly, maybe decrease it a degree a day or so to 75 initially and see how they are after a week or so.

Hope someone has a solution for you. The additional info I asked for may help.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

You would do well not to neglect their need for animal protein. I include Tetra Color Bits as part of their diet from the beginning. Also frozen blood worms and live black worms. This helps balance their diet and provides carotenoids which help bring out more color.
Plecos, even the primarily vegetarian species consume large amounts of sessile insect larvae attached to the rock and wood surfaces on which they graze. So strictly speaking they are omnivores.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

At the top of the forum there is a sticky that asks for information from you so that we can help you solve your problem. Please provide all that information to give us a better chance of being able to actually help you.

With that said, in a 30 gallon tank most any bristlenose pair could be overpopulating to the extent that water quality or lack of sufficient food (seems you have to be one way or the other) is going to play a factor. I have a single male and 3 females in a 55 gallon tank and there have been times I did 75-90% changes two or three times a week to try to keep the nitrates below 40. Obviously the tank was heavily overstocked at the time, but it was full of only ancistrus fry from those parents.

Barbie
reticulata
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Pale Bristlenose

Post by reticulata »

I have experienced the same situation. Usually it takes about a week from the time I first notice the whiteness appearing until the fish dies. I have one now that has turned pale and been that way eating like normal for three weeks. Don't know what causes it and it appears as neither does anyone else.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”