Pimelodella gracilis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Whiplash4ever
Location 1: Illinois
Location 2: Rockford, IL

Pimelodella gracilis

Post by Whiplash4ever »

Anyone else have this guy? If anyone have p[ics of the adult version, please post them.
Whip

http://www.myspace.com/whips_world
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't think it's a commonly kept fish - the page for that fish has about 1000 hits - ten times that and it hits the bottom end of top 100 in the Cat-eLog, which is still five times less than the top one (Panaque sp(L204)). It is, however, the most "hit" Pimelodella in the Cat-eLog.

- And you can add yourself to the list of registered keepers - there's no other members that have, but that's not to say that no one has this fish.

There are two pictures in the Cat-eLog. If you have any pictures of good quality, I'm sure Jools will happily add those to the Cat-eLog.

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I have 9, coming from the Aroyo Tropa Vieja, near Salinas, Uruguay. They are quite sensitive towards medicines in the water, but for the rest nice fish. Currently I keep them outdoors, in a 600 l tank.

The nice thing is, they are active not only at night, but they show themselves by day too.

Next winter they will be kept outside, thermostated on 8 degrees, I do hope they will breed (Last week the temp at Montevideo, 30 km from Salinas averaged at 6 degrees. The above mentioned Aroyo is small, thus I expect the water to be 6 or 7 degrees top)
Chrysichthys
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

What I've seen sold here as Pimelodella (or sometimes Pimelodus) gracilis is in fact .
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whilst I haven't seen anything in a shop called "Pimelodella" (no matter what species), I would agree with Chrysichtys point that they are most likely not correctly identified - the reason being that Argentina (or Uruguay) isn't exactly the major exporters of fish - most South American export comes from Eastern Brazil (around the Amazon), Colombia and Peru (not sure which order they are in the "league", but certainly Argentina and Uruguay are much further down in the table, and the three I listed above probably stand for some 70% or so of all South American fish exported, with further exports from other parts of Brazil taking up a decent part of the remaining proportion)

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Certainly

In Uruguay only one exporter is active, and he deals not so much in catfish. Further, he sells perhaps 50 boxes a year

In Argentina perhaps 4 of 5 excist (I can't mention anyone)

One of the problems with importing from here are the very high freigh prizes. Manaus - Amsterdam costs some 3 US $ a kilo, from Montevideo it's 6

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”