HELP with my fish house

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
AquaKat
Location 1: South Wales

HELP with my fish house

Post by AquaKat »

Hi i wonder if any of you guys can help me with a problem i have.I cant seem to keep my fish house at a steady temperature has anyone got any ideas on how i might solve this problem. I have left the door open and used a fan but it didn't seem to make any difference. The temperature is not to bad in there at the moment, but on Saturday the temperature sored to almost 50 degrees and it killed some of my fish in the smaller tanks
any advice would be really helpful
thanks Aquakat
I'm new to all this.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Forced air-exchange is definitely part of the solution.

Another part is to make sure it's properly insulated, so that heat (or cold) from the outside "stays outside". The more insulation the better.

If desperate, running a thin (air-line or so) line of water from the tank through a fridge or freezer and back into the tank will also help cool the water.

Another tip would be to stick a bottle of water (say a 2L plastic drinks bottle) in the freezer to make a "giant ice-cube". For small tanks, a half-liter bottle may be more suitable.

Opening the lid on the tank will help evaporation that helps keeping the tank cool - running a fan across the water surface (for example the fans used in computers to keep the air flowing through them) will also have a similar effect. Of course, it will also increase the loss of water through evaporation, but that's a better loss than dead fish...

If you search the forum for "how to keep a tank cool", you'll find several variations on these tips in the reuslts of the search, but I think I've covered most of it.

Of course, using a air-conditioning unit to cool the room will also work - but it gets expensive if it's needed for a long while.

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Follow Mats' solutions in the short term, but long term I think you will need a air conditioning unit.

An air conditioner will also prevent any moisture damage to the building, and if you get one that can heat too, you will find that very useful in the winter.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

racoll wrote:Follow Mats' solutions in the short term, but long term I think you will need a air conditioning unit.

An air conditioner will also prevent any moisture damage to the building, and if you get one that can heat too, you will find that very useful in the winter.
AquaKat is talking about (Matt) grokefishes'(and hers!) new fishroom.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Too many people called Matt. :D

I meant MatsP's advice......
grokefish
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

the hills have eyes
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.

Return to “Speak Easy”