Please help me identify this cory

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
benny
Location 1: Singapore

Please help me identify this cory

Post by benny »

Hi,

I've got this cory that I can't get a positive ID on. Here's a picture of it. It's about 5 cm in size now and I have 4 of them.

Any advice on it's ID is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

benny

You have young Corydoras delphax They reach around 65 mm (body length)

Ian
gail
I've donated: $200.00!
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio (the North Coast)... USA
Interests: I'm an active human/animal rights advocate; I scupt and draw natural history subjects; I have a house full of animals, newest of which is a big pl*co!

your catfish

Post by gail »

benny,
those are nice-looking little catfish. they really caught my eye! i am going to research them to see if they might be nice tankmates for my Hoovie. i have been looking for some smaller catfish with Hoovie's same color-scheme, and which would be compatible with him and his tank set-up. good luck with your fish!
gail :)
I'm the proud rescuer of Hoovie, a footlong liposarcus pardalis, who successfully survived sudden disaster, thanks to Speak Easy! Hoovie and I LOVE Planet Catfish! See Hoovie here...http://www.boomspeed.com/rickeybird/hoov1.jpg
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Great find! I'm geting 4 (Hens teeth) Julli's tomorrow. :D
benny

Post by benny »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for helping me identify this fish. Initially, some of us thought it was C. melanistius brevirostris.

Hi Gail,

At 5 cm, I thought these were adults already. Didn't realise they are fairly young. Pretty shy creatures compared to C. similis, but great fun to watch them burrowing in riversand if they do come out. Hope you find them as suitable tankmates for your Hoovie.

Thanks!!

Cheers,
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

benny

Just a couple of bits of info: -

There are no longer any Corydoras sub species, which means C. melanistius melanistius and C. melanistius brevirostris become C. melanistius and C. brevirostris.

Ian
benny

Post by benny »

Hi guys,

My delphax seems to be fading. Compared to the first picture that I've posted, it really seems pale.

Here's a picture for comparison.

Anything to worry about?

Cheers,
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The abdominal region looks a little strange. May be suffering from intestinal parasites.
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

Post by catdoc »

Glad this got bumped up--now I know what kind of cories I have! The LFS gave them another name (can't remember now what) but I was surprised at how much they've grown. Now I can look up more specifics on them. :D

Christy
Coryman
Expert

Post by Coryman »

benny

Your C. delfax have aclimatised to irs surrounding. If you put them over dark sand or gravelthey will darken.

Ian
benny

Post by benny »

Silurus wrote:The abdominal region looks a little strange. May be suffering from intestinal parasites.
hi Silurus,

Care to share how to look at the abdominal for intestinal parasites?

One point that I forgot to add is that only 1 out of 4 dephlax is losing its color. The rest are fine. Does that mean that the rest is not acclimatised?

Cheers,
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

From what I can see from the photo the fish appears to have a well-rounded belly, but the region immediately behind that (between the pelvic and the anal fins) is somewhat shrunken in. A well-fed fish usually has a both regions rounded.
It may be the angle of the camera when the pic was taken, but that's what it looks like to me.
zac08

Post by zac08 »

Silurus wrote:From what I can see from the photo the fish appears to have a well-rounded belly, but the region immediately behind that (between the pelvic and the anal fins) is somewhat shrunken in. A well-fed fish usually has a both regions rounded.
It may be the angle of the camera when the pic was taken, but that's what it looks like to me.
I see.... thanks... we seem to be having some problems with our cories these few days... there were quite a few number of casualties... we're still wondering if it's the water, food or the hot weather...
Michael Lim

My Fish Pix
Corydorus

Return to “What is my catfish?”